love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561800 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #530 on: March 26, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
I'm noticing a trend of bad subtitles in this bracket. A real shame.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »

Yep, it really sucks. But believe me, it wasn't the subtitles that made me dislike The general's son so much. It just wasn't engaging or entertaining for me and I just ended up putting all those screenshots with bad subs up there because they were amusing to me. I've definitely moved along multiple films with bad subs in this bracket and now I almost auto-correct grammar and such in my head while watching them so that as long as the movie is engaging, I am not really noticing the bad subs so much.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

Yeah, a few of the movies I've watched have been a little rough, but usually close enough that it's not too distracting and the meaning comes across fine. But hey, when it means getting to watch some of these movies at all, it's a more than acceptable trade-off.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »

Yep, it really sucks. But believe me, it wasn't the subtitles that made me dislike The general's son so much. It just wasn't engaging or entertaining for me and I just ended up putting all those screenshots with bad subs up there because they were amusing to me. I've definitely moved along multiple films with bad subs in this bracket and now I almost auto-correct grammar and such in my head while watching them so that as long as the movie is engaging, I am not really noticing the bad subs so much.

I can understand that.

Still, I'm a bit disappointed that you kicked out the film with dialogue like 'I don't fûck a woman while her husband is in jail.' I almost want to watch that movie now.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
Great write up, tough luck with the movies.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
Madadayo

I get the sense that Madadayo turned out just how Kurosawa intended. Certainly a lot of different ingredients go in to making a film, each ingredient with it's own effect. Being aware of all the elements simultaneously and weaving them together in a meaningful way must be a challenge. Making it come out how you originally intended is an achievement. I feel Madadayo is just such an achievement. I've never been a fan of Kurosawa's work (seen Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Ran), but there is no question he's capable of avoiding a mishmash.

There isn't a strong narrative to Madadayo. It's about a revered old professor, his students, and their lives after he retires. It's peculiar in the way the story is told. It proceeds chronologically and is always focused on the professor, but the scenes are separated by years and have little connection to each other. There are probably a dozen such scenes in all, and they play out like lengthy anecdotes. Some interesting and some not. Everything from celebrating the professor's birthday, to the loss of his cat. Each scene observes and explores the life of this aging professor.

The professor is, to his students past and present, a marvel. They care deeply for him and respect him as if he were a living saint. They drink together, and eat together. They visit him often and see to his general well being. It's all very nice of them. Yet something about it didn't work for me. While the students were all bending over backwards to do things for the professor, I was wondering why this old man was worth their time. We are meant to believe the professor is a great man, but the movie does little to demonstrate this. When it does try to show us, it's unimpressive. This became a problem. Every scene in the movie requires that you believe (through assumption or otherwise) that professor is special. Given that I had no such belief, what follows felt disingenuous and hokey . To me he was kindly, thoughtful and perhaps a bit eccentric, but not especially so. All in all, just another old man.

Another important aspect of the movie seems to be the humour. There are countless moments when the professor and his students are laughing their asses off. It's never funny though! I get what they are laughing at but it's really not funny, and certainly not as funny as they makes it out to be. It was so over the top it took me out of the movie.

The film has heart, to be sure. The title Madadayo means "not yet", which the professor always yells back to his students when they cheekily ask him "are you ready" (for death). It's a wonderful sentiment! You can't help but draw parallels between the professor and Kurosawa himself. It's too bad the film was so frustratingly boring. It failed to evoke any emotion! The truth is I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Operation Scorpio

Completely different movie. It's a Kung Fu comedy. I watched Kung Fu Hustle a few years ago and had a great time. I sat down with Operation Scorpio hoping for a similarly enjoyable experience. It's got all of the elements of a good Kung Fu comedy.

Unique characters

Bizarre training techniques

And wacky fight scenes

What more could you ask for really? Well, a lot actually. This movie just doesn't entertain. The fights are good but few and far between, the dialogue is bad but not laughable, and the generally things just aren't goofy enough!

Conclusion

Madadayo is well made but poorly conceived. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

Operation Scorpio is too restrained to bother with. I'm convinced that if they threw in some good music over the fight scenes, and cut out the boring bits this would've been great. I happened to be listening to some Daft Punk and had the movie playing while I made this write-up and it improved it greatly. Anyways, it wouldn't have taken a lot for me to move this one forward.

I didn't like either film but I'll do Kurosawa fans a favour and keep Madadayo around. I look forward to reading the writeup of the next match up it's in.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:18:15 PM by smirnoff »

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #536 on: March 27, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #537 on: March 27, 2009, 09:39:01 AM »
Ikiru is awesome!

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
I haven't watched Madadayo but that was a very nice review, smirnoff. I just watched a couple of interviews with Kurosawa and he definitely sounded like someone who with his crew was able to achieve exactly what he wants. Too bad neither of the films did much for you. Here's to hoping both of our next matchups are totally great :).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »
Here here!  ;D

love