love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561811 times)

Gobman

Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1030 on: May 09, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »

Little Cheung is a streetwise 9 year-old who makes some money doing deliveries for his father's restaurant. One day a girl comes in asking for work, Cheungs father won't hire her because you're not allowed to hire kids but Cheung takes her in on the side as his helper/girlfriend and they go around making deliveries together. A charming little film with really good performances from the two lead kids and a pretty good picture of Hong Kong street culture that feels real even though it never gets very nasty. It's filmed really nicely, nothing too flashy but the camera isn't completely static either and there are some really beautiful moments.

This could definitely fall into the category of one of those films where nothing much happens, there are several little plots going on but only half of them get resolved, which I figured might be the case but it still left me a little sad when we got to the end and these side stories hadn't really been advanced. The score was the worst aspect of the film, it wasn't terribly mismatched or anything, just very bland music played quite poorly. Still, aside from those complaints and a few too many moments of vulgarity a lovely little film.

A Terracotta Warrior

General Mong is overseeing construction of the emperors mausoleum. One day the emperor is out hunting near his mausoleum when he gets ambushed by rebels but Mong comes in and saves him so the emperor makes Mong his chamberlain. Palace life is pretty sweet and Mong falls in love with one of the emperors concubines (Gong Li). Then a series of events take place that leave Mong both immortal and trapped in the mausoleum for 3000 years, until a 1930s plane crashed by the spitting image of his former lover sets him free on a whimsical Indiana Jones-esque romantic adventure.

The first half of this movie is a historical epic/love story. It's incredibly beautiful and incredibly awesome and I wanted the movie to stay there forever but then Mong becomes a terracotta warrior and the film loses all beauty and starts getting very silly although there's an epilogue which I rather liked. Zhang Yimou is occasionally good but he's a pretty wooden actor, Gong Li is beautiful and pretty good up front but like everything else in the film seems to lose something around the halfway mark.  Really unfortunate that such a promising film went so downhill.

Verdict: Little Cheung in a big way, I love that little guy.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1031 on: May 09, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
yay! fruit chan!

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1032 on: May 09, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
That leaves me interested in both films, somehow.
Good job - we're on a roll!
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1033 on: May 09, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
Interesting idea for a film that Terracotta one. Sounds like it bit off more than it could chew though. I'm all for a simple film that does everything it set out to do, and does it well.

Good stuff, Gobman.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1034 on: May 09, 2010, 09:51:27 PM »
Great writeup, Gobman! Little Cheung does sound really charming, I was hoping it wasn't going to disappoint. And A Terrcotta Warrior, despite your mixed reaction, does sound interesting. Crazy idea for a movie at the least.

Good stuff!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1035 on: May 09, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Coquille

Coquille is a Japanese film about an extramarital relationship. Its two main characters, Tatsuya and Naoko, are nothing if not reserved. Their relationship, which starts with a conversation during a class reunion, is slow to develop because of Tatsuya's obligations to his wife and family. It's the unmarried Naoko who gently encourages him to come to her bar so they can spend time together. She doesn't want to seduce him or anything but merely reminisce. What develops is more of a friendship than anything else. They find that they can be honest with each other. For Tatsuya especially this is a breath of fresh air. His (arranged) marriage has become a chore which he silently endures. For Naoko the relationship is fulfilling for much more complicated reasons.

This movie gave me trouble early on. Tatsuya and Naoko's reserved nature, which I mentioned before, tested my patience. Once it became clear there was going to BE a relationship, all of their polite dancing around the issue became frustrating, I mean it just wasn't very interesting. I had a hard time being sympathetic to their moral dilemma or whatever it was holding them back. On top of that you have the usual contrived obstacles which further delay things getting to the point (unexpected guests showing up just as they're about to say something important, freak accidents, etc). It didn't lose me altogether but I felt the movie could've used its time more effectively, or had a more interesting set up.

When they do eventually open up to each their relationship is very dull to watch. No fighting, no laughing, no unrestrained emotions of any kind. Just quiet scenes where a lot is said without saying a lot. This works if the story spends enough time developing the characters and relationship, which this film does, but you also need to like and be interested in those characters and I just wasn't.

I dunno, I'm probably making it sound worse than it was. I didn't hate it or anything, but it's definitely not firing on all cylinders (despite a few nice scenes).

Summer Snow

The characters in Summer Snow are the exact opposite of those in Coquille. They say exactly what's on their mind even if there's nothing particularly important to say. Or maybe it just sounds that way because of the rudimentary translation. Either way it's not a big problem as you can read between the lines. What you'll discover is a bitter-sweet drama with a TON of heart.

The film is about a hard up family of three who is forced to take on the burden of a grandfather with Alzheimer's. The grandfather is a big man and full of beans (for an old guy). He tends to wander off and seems to think everyone around him is either a fellow soldier or enemy combatant. It makes him a real handful for the mother, father and teenage son whose time was already stretched thin before he arrived. The situation tests the strength of the marriage, it tests everyone's patience, and it tests their bank account. Though it seems like an impossible situation they somehow find a harmony. It's not perfect, but life never is.

What made this movie work for me was the interesting premise, the humble, genuine nature of the family, the mix of light-hearted moments and touching drama, and the good performances. Especially the mother character played by Josephine Siao. Great example of a strong woman character. She works hard, she speaks her mind and she has a strong moral compass. One of my favourite protagonists of the bracket so far!

It's with considerable enthusiasm I send Summer Snow on to the next round. Good luck!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1036 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
It's with considerable enthusiasm I send Summer Snow on to the next round. Good luck!

Woohoo! I love me some enthusiasm. It sounds really great. Coquille doesn't sound terrible, but I'm glad you found something great to put through.

All these verdicts! ;D

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1037 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:58 AM »
That's Lao Che! I always knew things would end badly for him.
Anyway, considering how horrible the poster is, Summer Snow sounds pretty good.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1038 on: May 10, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »
We're on a roll!

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema