Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561832 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1600 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11:40 PM »
This writeup made me incredibly happy. ;D

The Bird People review is excellent. The more I see of Miike's films the more I'm impressed by his range as a filmmaker, and this movie was certainly an eye-opener for me.

But of course I'm thrilled about your reaction to Sonatine! Couldn't have asked for a more spot on review. I breathe a great sigh of relief. :)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1601 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
I've watched a couple of other Kitano movies for the bracket, and they were promising. Maybe I'll get Sonatine next time and see what the pinnacle looks like.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1602 on: June 26, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
Midori
VS
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

Midori
Hiroshi Harada
Japan
Tequila's Round 1 verdict

Brutal. Bizare. Repulsive. A gory mess. 'Midori' starts innocently enough. A young girl is walking the streets trying to sell flowers to raise money for a school trip. About a minute later you get a taste of the nightmare you are about to endure. She returns home to find her ailing mother has died and rats are devouring her body. With no where to turn she takes up an offer from a man on the street to join the his freak show. Once there she is abused, raped and denigrated by grotesque freaks. Through all of this pain she finds a savior in a dwarf who shoves himself into bottles. An odd romance in a twisted distopia ensues, until things once again take a turn for the worse.

Hiroshi Harada created this disturbing animated nightmare single handily, using a primitive animation style. While the images are vividly graphic, the animation is minimal, mostly consisting of still frames, in a storyboard like fashion. This does not make it any less difficult to watch. Harada is a virtuoso of vivid visual vulgarity, not shying away from the most heinous depictions of rape and  violence. He throws you off guard by juxtaposing these horrifying images with innocent, serene images. It is effective, but altogether untoward.

It is like watching a version of Tod Browning's 'Freaks' on acid. I couldn't get past the feeling that this was just an exploitation film and I do mean to put a negative connotation on that. Putting an audience through the visuals that he displays should be earned, and I never feel like this film reaches that level. It just leaves you feeling dirty. When Harada first released this film, he made a spectical of it, shrouding the showing in mystery, hiring live side shows, music and creating a chaotic environment. I get the feeling from this film that Harada is just trying to extract a reaction of repulsion from his audience, but when you pull back the layer of disturbing imagery, there is nothing of value left. I don't mind being shocked by a film, but I want something else to be there as well.

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Akira Kurosawa
Japan
THATguy's round 1 verdict
Pixote's resurrection forecast

In the twilight of his career, Akira Kurosawa directed this surreal film broken up into eight vignettes. Each is of a dream that he has had over his life. The dream sequences are in chronological order, starting with the dreamer as a boy and advancing to adulthood. There is no narrative to speak of and the segments are only loosely tied by some repeated themes. There is an overarching sentiment of man versus nature, and how man is killing themselves and nature with technology and wars.

This is a very slow film. There are some beautiful scenes, but I can't say that it was worth it. I think it works better admiring the work in still captures than sitting through the sluggish pace of the movie. Kurosawa certainly takes his time. Some of the interpretative dance sequences seem to go on for an eternity, and I'm not one that gets anything from artistic dancing so it was especially grating. I really wanted to appreciate what Kurosawa was trying to do, as I knew there was a lot of artistry at work, but I couldn't help getting restless and bored with the monotony.

There were a couple segments which did hold my attention. 'The Blizzard' where a climbing team gets caught in a white-out snow storm, and the struggle to stay alive, captured my imagination. This was the most divergent of all the sequences, since it was the least visual. In fact, you could hardly make out anything that was going on. In contrast I also enjoyed the beautifully vivid sequences such as 'Crows' where the dreamer steps into a Van Gogh painting, and has an encounter with the artist. The way in which the dreamer strolls through the impasto of Van Gogh's works is mesmerizing. I only wish more of the film was as captivating.

One segment I thought was particularly relevant today is 'Mount Fuji in Red' where a nuclear reactor near the volcano starts to melt down, and scores of Japanese people jump into the ocean to escape the fallout. The stupidity of man is blamed for the disaster. Given the current nuclear crisis in Japan, this message is even more ominous. Kurosawa makes the case for returning to a simpler time, and enjoying the nature around us. This is a sentiment I can get behind.

I wish I could say I enjoyed this more than I did. It has its moments of beauty, and there are some great vignettes, but it was a chore to get through. Kurosawa is a cinematic legend, but even masters miss sometimes.

Verdict: This was closer than I would have ever imagined. I'm not sure you could get two films as different as these two. I guess the one connecting through line is that both are dreamlike fantasies. Midori is visual abuse, and Dreams is eye candy. Unfortunately both didn't do all that much for me. I was really pretty disappointed by Dreams, which makes it even harder for me to send it through. Honestly, neither one belongs in round 3. If it weren't for the puppy stomping part in Midori I might be tempted to send it through. It's there though, and revolting, so I give it to Kurosawa by default.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:41:50 PM by BlueVoid »
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1603 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
I really love Dreams so I'm glad to see it through though it is unfortunate it didn't resonate more for you.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1604 on: June 26, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
Thank you Bluevoid for kicking out what sounds like the worst possible film imaginable. Your review describes the experience so well I feel like I just watched the movie myself.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1605 on: June 26, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »
Dreams is easily the worst Kurosawa I've seen. Still, sounds better than the other film.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
« Reply #1606 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »

Written and directed by Takeshi Kitano. 1997. Japan

Kind of a cops versus Yakuza crime story, kind of a terminal illness drama, the plot was not always easy for me to track. But I hardly felt that mattered when the movie is interspersed with images like this:

Done by the director himself, these paintings splash life into a movie focused on death. There's a lot of stabbing and shooting in Hana-bi. At first, I even thought that the movie was going to be about how Japanese society cares for policemen after they are injured on the job. The soundtrack suggests a "very special episode" vibe, and I for sure didn't want to sit through yet another Japanese movies on social values. But Kitano has a tic (and he plays the lead character Nishi with one as well). It's the tics that make Hana-bi.

Previous verdict by Gobman.

------------------------------------------------------

Written and directed by Jing Wong. 1991. Hong Kong.

What a slapstick romp! I had no idea that God of Gamblers 2 would be so goofy! It was like a Looney Tunes movie. At one point, two characters slip on a bar of soap, fly out of the window, land on a canopy, and bounce off onto the pavement below. I had a lot of fun watching this. I wanted to share it with other people so that it could bring them joy as well.

Previous verdict by 1SO.

------------------------------------------------------

Verdict:  Although I liked both, I'm passing forward the weightier Hana-bi. Man. I had half a mind to put GoG2 forward. I honestly had an overall better time watching it. Still, I doubt whoever gets Hana-bi next will be disappointed, as might have happened if I had gone the other way.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #1607 on: June 30, 2011, 12:53:01 AM »
I watched GoGII last night (the 3rd is my matchup) and it is indeed a blast.  Did you watch the two movies it's a sequel to first (God of Gamblers and All for the Winner)?  I'm glad I did (because they're also both pretty good) but I don't think it was necessary at all.

That said, there's no doubt I would have sent Fireworks through as well.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1608 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:50 AM »
Huh, given your writeups I thought for sure GoGII was through. Given my previous experience with Stephen Chow though, you made the right choice!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
« Reply #1609 on: June 30, 2011, 06:33:16 AM »
Did you watch the two movies it's a sequel to first (God of Gamblers and All for the Winner)?  I'm glad I did (because they're also both pretty good) but I don't think it was necessary at all.

Nope! I went in totally blind. I don't know if I'd ever seen a sequel without seeing the original before. (Unless you count Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.)