Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 561799 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1850 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
I really liked When Night Falls. After Mystery, I overheard David Bordwell & Kristin Thompson complaining about its plot implausibilities. I think I liked it more than they did.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1851 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
Some one has to take that last matchup in this round. I would but cant find the films and don't do torrents.

The are just two matchups left: worm thinks she'll be able to post hers in the next couple days. I haven't heard from Tequila lately, but I'm pretty confident he'll come through in the clutch.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #1852 on: March 26, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
I am really sorry for doing this in this way and am still hoping to come back and elaborate on my verdict at some point. But for now, I at least want to remove myself as a roadblock. So Flowers of Shanghai moves on and Jubaku doesn't. Jubaku is a perfectly decent corporate thriller (based on a real life bank scandal I believe) but Hou's film (which I was introduced to thanks to this bracket) is now one of my favorite films of all time. As terrible as it is that I kept postponing writing up this verdict, I ended up watching these films several times each time intending to update this thread. Apart from revealing my utter lack of commitment and responsibility, it also led to me discovering just how magical Hou's film becomes on re-watching. I really hope this one goes deep in the bracket.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #1853 on: March 26, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
Whoa, does this mean the bracket can continue?  :o

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Re: 1990s Far East Bracket
« Reply #1854 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
Whoa, does this mean the bracket can continue?  :o

Soooo close. We just need someone to step up to the streets and complete the The Eel vs. Moonlight Boy matchup.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1855 on: April 20, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »
Welp. Two films that have already been eliminated once. So I guess my verdict is basically a death sentence for one of these. Also the last matchup of the round. What pressure.

The Eel

The poster for The Eel on IMDB calls it an erotic spellbinder, which I found a little odd when I did some digging around on this movie after watching it. A man gets a letter says his wife is cheating on him, he verifies this to be true and kills her in a crime of passion. That is the first five minutes. I picked a different poster that seemed more appropriate.

Koji Yakusho plays Takuro Yamashita, fresh out of jail eight years after committing the murder. He ends up in a small village while paroled, and due to his experience cutting hair in prison, he opens up a barber shop in a run down building.

The viewer kind of keeps expecting his past to sneak up on him and haunt him big time, and while alluded to by characters, it never really does. Oddly enough, Yamashita ends up saving the life of a girl named Keiko, and we probably spend more of the second half of the movie watching her past unfold.

You really get a sense of the community in this movie, which is what I liked more than the more dramatic arcs of the story. Personally, I had a lot of fun watching Yamashita adjust to life and make friends in this small village. You really get to know who the people in the town are, and only a few of them are wacky personalities, as is often the case in these type of things to make the small roles memorable.

I enjoyed this movie well enough, although I didn't particularly find it erotic or spellbinding. Following the initial murder, I'd probably describe it by just calling it nice.

vs

Moonlight Boy

Usually I like to read this and that on a film in a bracket matchup after watching it and before doing the write up, but I really couldn't find a whole lot on Moonlight Boy. In fact, I am the only person that has checked it on Icheckmovies and it only has 16 votes on IMDB.

Too bad it is so under seen because I liked it all right.

Basically the story is about a spirit taking the form of a boy (the pleasant looking fellow in the poster) who keeps coming around a family with a grandmother, mother, and daughter.

The first half of the movie is slow paced but really sets the mood well. It floats around between the spirit and the daughter with a nice hypnotic quality. Aesthetically wonderful, and some of the scenes are really well crafted. I was reminded of the Sixth Sense actually, particularly when the spirit was in the room with people that can't see him. It also gets into some other weird stuff, including some animated characters that appear in the story occasionally.

As the mystery unfolds, unfortunately it takes with it a lot of the mood and mystique that I was enjoying in the first half. We see how the spirit  is connected to the family through some flashbacks and it makes for a pretty powerful ending, but ultimately I was a little bit disappointed with some of the turns the film takes.

The Verdict

I thought both of these movies were pretty good, but I liked The Eel a lot better. That will be the one that moves on.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1856 on: April 20, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Are we there yet?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1857 on: April 21, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »
Well, my checks are hidden on iCM right now and as the person who previously eliminated both of these I'd have gone he other way. Oh well. On to round three and more new discoveries.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1858 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
Way to wrap it up Jared :)

Nice that it wasn't a bad matchup for you either.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1859 on: April 21, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Great job Jared! So happy you were able to wrap this round up. Hopefully things pick up again!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

love