Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 487228 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.Ē
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #2520 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
More like Pity Mononoke's opponent. ;D

For sure!

It's not advancing yet though Sandy's pithy summary should be enough to convince anyone.

That's right! I don't have the power. Must be decided with two votes. I'll go adjust my wording. :)

I hate it when my girlfriend thinks she's a wolf, it's such an annoyance.

:))

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #2521 on: July 10, 2022, 05:36:53 AM »
Cageman vs Chungking Express

I watched the 2.5 hrs long letterboxed low-res Laserdisc Rip of Cageman with an open mind.
The first thing I noticed was Grandpa (Victor Wong) from 3 Ninjas is in this. The second thing I noticed was how good the jazzy soundtrack was, the third thing I noticed was how the camera moves through the tight cluttered spaces of this Hong Kong cage hostel, following the characters and making us feel like we are in this space with them.
The story is about a poor working-class community living in a hostel where their rooms are cages and the threat of the property developers who want to kick them out of the space and tear it down. The symbolism of the cage is almost ironic as they find freedom and closeness in their friendship and the community that has been created within this space. In the final scenes, their cages are broken and they are taken away seemingly to jail.
The true cage of poverty is the instability of housing and the lack of choice and agency, the illusion of freedom that comes from living under capitalism. The final shot finds some of the characters visiting a zoo, staring at the caged animals, from across the space they notice their friend Mao. They yell out "Mao!", perhaps craving a return to Maoist ideals after years of Hong Kong colonial rule and Dengist neoliberalism in mainland China.

Chunking Express rejects the neorealist approach of Cageman for the stylish romanticism that Wong Kar-Wai is so good at. The voyeuristic camera angles, the mysterious women and longing men, the inexplicably fractured two-part narrative. There is something so unstable about this film and yet it is so incredibly comforting and warm. A melancholic dream of slow-motion blurry streetlights and kitchen smoke. There is a beauty in WKW movies that is unmatched, the joie de vivre and eccentricity of the characters return me to a time when I still believed in love and romance.

Both these films are about finding connections with others despite the harshness and confusing world we live in and both of them show us that salvation will always be found in people and community.

Verdict: Chungking Express with its stylised dream-like melancholy moves on, but Cageman is probably the more important movie.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 05:13:57 PM by Beavermoose »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2522 on: July 10, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »
Iíll return to this later, but for now Iíll just say that youíre my new favorite person.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
« Reply #2523 on: July 13, 2022, 03:30:10 AM »
This bracket has been going for almost 15 years.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.Ē
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2524 on: July 16, 2022, 06:29:37 PM »
Hurray, Beavermoose!

How do we bring this bracket in for a landing?!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2525 on: July 28, 2022, 11:14:55 PM »
Hurray, Beavermoose!

That's my question. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
« Reply #2526 on: July 29, 2022, 09:25:23 AM »
Hurray, Beavermoose!

That's my question. 

Who else has matchups? haha

love