love

Author Topic: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 553571 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: 1990s Far East Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #2530 on: September 16, 2023, 10:11:35 PM »
A nice fresh take on both films. Thanks for the reviews. I can't say as I really have a horse in the race, but if I have to see something again down the road I'd prefer it be Happy Together.

I have to admit, while watching Happy Together, I kind of wished I was watching My Blueberry Nights again instead. :)  I told myself that after I finished the assignment, I'd do just that.

i couldn't finish Happy Together.  I can only deal with so much abusive relationship.  Audition felt easier to deal with, although that is labeled as a 'horror'

Super interesting, oldkid! The closer to reality, the harder to watch. I hadn't thought about horror being so far out there, I could disconnect. Haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2531 on: September 17, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
I still stand by my picking Supermarket Woman over Happy Together some 13 years ago.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2532 on: October 19, 2023, 09:55:28 PM »
I think Audition has been the review I have been waiting for you to do for a numbers of years now.  Glad you got through it and having your thoughts.  I’ve been meaning to rewatch it sometime but then it is also one that is hard to forget.  I only seen it once back around 2002 with my GF at that time.  Her comment was something like… “if you tell me you enjoyed that movie, we are breaking up…”. Or something similar. 

I’m not watching a lot these days so probably won’t get around to a rewatch anytime soon..
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2533 on: October 21, 2023, 10:44:39 PM »
I still stand by my picking Supermarket Woman over Happy Together some 13 years ago.

Thanks for the link, Bondo! Your reviews were from before I came to the forum. I imagine I'd enjoy Supermarket Woman more too. :) The formatting of your reviews was cool. I went in to see how you "table tr'd" it.

I think Audition has been the review I have been waiting for you to do for a numbers of years now.  Glad you got through it and having your thoughts.  I’ve been meaning to rewatch it sometime but then it is also one that is hard to forget.  I only seen it once back around 2002 with my GF at that time.  Her comment was something like… “if you tell me you enjoyed that movie, we are breaking up…”. Or something similar.

Ha! That is quite a statement! I'm sure you tread that conversation very carefully.

I remember your comment about looking forward to my review and it made me nervous, wondering how harrowing this movie was going to be. I was thinking about you when I wrote the review, hoping to convey my experience clearly. Processing it was hard, but useful.

I’m not watching a lot these days so probably won’t get around to a rewatch anytime soon..

I'm not sure what a re-watch would do. Like you said, it's pretty indelible. I'd save your time for something new, or loved. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2534 on: December 16, 2023, 09:03:45 AM »
I agree with Sandy on this one. I get the importance of Audition but it's a style of horror that even I find too much. Happy Together can be a hard watch but I think overall it is much better at achieving something I find worth the watch.