Author Topic: Marathon Suggestion: Film Noir  (Read 9682 times)

jeffdaddy

Re: Marathon Suggestion: Film Noir
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
Rififi
The Killing

Those are two GREAT suggestions.  The first has the coolest/longest/quietest heist ever, and the 2nd is Kubrick's debut (which has to be one of the best debuts ever).

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »
I had it in my head that we were talking about "The Killers" directed by Don Siegel, starring Ronald Reagan, not The Killing.  I was confused for a moment.  I think they are both Noir though.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
The Killers (1946) - Directed by Robert Siodmak and starring Burt Lancaster, one of the greatest classical noirs.

The Killers (!964) - A remake directed by Don Siegel and starring Lee Marvin and Ronald Reagan.  I haven't seen it.

Killer's Kiss (1955) - Stanley Kubrick's first feature film, a flashy, low-budget noir shot with an everything and the kitchen sink style that you see in a lot of first films.  A lot of fun, the least oppressive of Kubricks.

The Killing (1956) - Kubrick's second film, a terrific heist movie starring Sterling Hayden. Ssome weird middle ground between The Asphalt Jungle and Ocean's 11 (the original).
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »
One False Move is a great choice.  Prior to his recent Big Love resurgence and A Simple Plan (another good one), Bill Paxton is a surprise and really great in this film.  And Billy Bob Thornton also does well in an early role.  I know it doesn't really fit with Film Noir because it's in color, but it is a good choice.

A film that I would not recommend is Detour.  It was included in both Roger Ebert's Great Movies and Time Magazine's All-TIME list, but to me it was only okay at best. 
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

frankkramer

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »
Really excited about this one and, if I've got the concept right and the marathon will look at obscure or lesser known films noir, have some suggestions:

In no particular order:

Border Incident - Inclusion in Warner's most recent Noir collection has probably made the film somewhat less obscure but this one deserves the attention. This film would give the marathon a look at the work of noir masters Anthony Mann and cinematographer John Alton without including their somewhat better known films T-Men and Raw Deal.

The Amazing Mr. X - Alton without Mann here in a film that is a lot better than its name suggests. The film is a master class in noir atmosphere and angles.

Hitch-Hiker - Noir's toughest film directed by a beautiful woman - Ida Lupino

Nightmare Alley - Tyrone Power, turns out, was more than just a pretty boy

Moonrise - The great, lost romantic noir directed by the forgotten Frank Borzage. Unavailable on dvd but can be had and would be a very cool inclusion.

Jimblackblack

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 11:53:31 AM »
Just one addition to the list.  Fritz Lang's 1931 masterpiece "M" introducing a young Peter Lorrie as a whistling child molester/murderer.   Yes, it's in German with subtitles, but who cares?  It stylistically bridges the gap between German Expressionist films and early film noir.  It could be seen as a natural progression from the Silent Film Marathon.

Jim Black
Jim Black

Osprey

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 04:07:09 PM »
Ace in the Hole a fantastic Billy Wilder/Kirk Douglas film is apparently being released on DVD by Criterion in July-  maybe soon enough to make the tail end of the next marathon?  I saw this in a film noir class and I was blown away by the prescience and cynicism about media that Wilder showed in the early 50s.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
Laura (1944)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Detour (1945)
The Killers (1946)
Out Of The Past (1947)
D.O.A. (1950)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »
Just wanted to let any Noir fans know that there's a pretty good article about Film Noir in Vanity Fair (The Hollywood Issue - March '07)... it's a nice piece on the history of Noir and such, worth checking out if you don't mind carrying around a 30 lb. magazine comprised of about 99% advertisements ;)

That was an amazing issue!
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 08:26:39 AM »
yeah, it was.  I really don't buy Vanity Fair that often (because of the content to ad ratio, mostly), but I always get The Hollywood Issue (recently I've been buying The Green Issue as well) and it never dissappoints.  This one was particularly great though.

love