love

Author Topic: South Park takes down Indiana Jones  (Read 7059 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: South Park takes down Indiana Jones
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure both Lucas and Spielberg had already died before though. I know my South Park and I'm positive that S.S.'s face melted off or exploded in the Free Hat episode when they re-released Raiders to a mass audience. Still, a great episode. Also, Indiana Jones 4 was the worst experience I have had in a theater all year, it was one of the only times I ever felt like walking out of a film, from about five minutes in I couldn't sit still because I needed to get out o there so bad, and I haven't seen any of the other Indy flicks, but I am positive this one was bad. Hell, I even sat through Cloverfield and didn't have the urge to leave, I was more content just waiting till it finished to get out of there, but with Indy I needed to get out to keep my sanity.

If you haven't seen an Indy movie, why the hell would you pay to see the worst of the bunch?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
 I find it ironic that I'm the guy who doesn't like Indiana Jones that much to begin with yet I seem to be the person who liked this film the most. Whatever. I don't see how this one is any different from say Raiders. Finding the Ark of the Covenant is just as preposterous as discovering an alien skull. And I'll take a couple of crap CG effects over a couple of crap dummies any day. It's funny, it's silly, it's Indiana Jones. :P

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
It's funny, it's silly, it's Indiana Jones. :P

Exactly! The face melting properties of the Ark are just as preposterous as surviving a nuke attack in a fridge or swinging through vines. The aliens were a bit much, but I think they worked.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »

Exactly! The face melting properties of the Ark are just as preposterous as surviving a nuke attack in a fridge or swinging through vines. The aliens were a bit much, but I think they worked.
Wait, are you and me agreeing again? We should really stop doing this before we end up respecting one another! :P

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 03:26:22 PM »

Yes. I wasn't bothered at all by the level of ridiculousness in the film. I got more worried when near the end they seemed to be taking the whole alien thing a bit too seriously, but then they showed the space ship and it was a cheesy 50s style flying saucer and I was happy again. The reason the film isn't as good as Raiders is that the stunt work tends to feel less authentic and so the action scene are less fun (but not too much less fun), and the plot is far too meandering and complex. With Raiders and also Last Crusade it always felt like you were along for the ride right next to Indy, but in Crystal Skull it always felt like you were being dragged along only to watch the proceedings. It's still entertaining, but never quite as enjoyable.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
The reason the film isn't as good as Raiders is that the stunt work tends to feel less authentic

They probably didn't want to buy Harrison a new hip.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
BTW, which rape scene was the most enjoyable?

I went for the Deliverance
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
BTW, which rape scene was the most enjoyable?

I went for the Deliverance

I liked the Accused because of the minor touches like the Howard the Duck pinball machine.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

Seriously though, the Accused one with the Howard the Duck pinball machine? Loved it.

I just watched this. It was just so, so, wrong.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 11:55:55 PM »
I liked how Parker and Stone handled it. As has been pointed out, they did a good job jabbing both Lucasberg and the people who railed on Indy 4 so hard. It was mediocre, but far better than the movies that have been knocking off the Indy series like National Treasure and The Mummy. Plus, complaining about the fridge scene or monkeys seems petty. The reasons I thought it was a downgrade were the over reliance on CGI and the lack of focus on Indy (Ford showed he was definitely capable, so why didn't they let him run with it?).

As for favorite rape scene? The stormtrooper one. Though the parody of The Accused was inspired (especially the cameo from Major Toht).
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)