Author Topic: Birth  (Read 4298 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Birth
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »
I was just surfing around on IMDB (those links to other actors and films and keep me on that site for minutes!) and came a across a bizarre little film I saw a few years ago called Birth. Directed by Jonothan Glazer, it starred Nicole Kidman as a women haunted by a young boy claiming to be the reincarnation of her previous husband.
It didn't have the best ending, at least not when you consider how good the premise was, but I still liked it a fair bit. I was wondering if anybody knows of this film and what they thought of it.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Birth
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
At least five people here have seen it, I bet.  :)

Ha, that'll teach you to have a blast in Europe! You missed a ton of polls!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »

It didn't have the best ending, at least not when you consider how good the premise was, but I still liked it a fair bit.

You nailed it. I'd watch it again though to see how I feel about knowing the ending in advance.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
At least five people here have seen it, I bet.  :)

Ha, that'll teach you to have a blast in Europe! You missed a ton of polls!

pixote

Yeah... I'm 'regretting' that trip already....yeah.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

KinoBuff

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:59:17 AM »
Yay, so glad people appreciate that film. It's one of my favourites. And I absolutely love the ending, for me it couldn't have been more perfect. I just think that it goes a completely unexpected way, so a lot of people not sure what to make of it. I cerainly felt that way the first time I watched it, but the more I thought about it the more it affected me.
It also has the best soundtrack I've ever heard, composed by Alexandre Desplat.
The pacing is so great in Birth, and together with the soundtrack it's just pure magic for me, especially the opening scene.
Jonathan Glazer is a great talent. I loved Sexy Beast as well, wish he made more films.

orangutangle

• Tramuntana Films
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
I think people couldn't handle the premise - the boy getting into the bath with her definitely pushes some boundaries - which is why they stayed away in droves. But I reckon this is a really classy mystery, and I loved its atmosphere. The opening, with the long tracking shot through Central Park in winter to Desplat's haunting score is stunning.

I'm really looking forward to his new one, Under The Skin - a sci fi with Scarlett Johansson! It's either going to be awesome or a complete turkey.

RickD

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
Under the Skin is an interesting one. It will be dismissed by almost everyone and this is what the movie is about. I did not realize this until I read a positive review of the movie.

The part I black out is not a significant plot spoiler at all, but could significantly change your viewing experience.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:37:29 PM by RickD »

Strong Opinions

• o.g. hot boi
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »
I adore this film. Kidman's not a great actress, but this was a wonderfully rich performance. That tight shot of her face at the opera was brilliant.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 12:33:31 AM »
First off, welcome SO!

Secondly, by odd coincidence, the night before last, I tried renting this from the local video store for the express purpose of showing my spousal unit an example of a good Nicole Kidman performance/what the guy who did Under the Skin was doing in the aughts.  But the DVD ended up being defective  >:(

[EDIT: ... as is my typing]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:37:54 AM by sdb_1970 »
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

DarkCrystal

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
Total gem of a movie that while has it's flaws, also beautifully captures an ever elusive tone.

The movie feels like snowflakes hitting the soft ground before a footprint has come in...quiet, mysterious, sacred...beautifully acted and a very specific vision.  Love how it doesn't spoonfeed answers, although some of the decision making in writing wasn't perfect.