Author Topic: Please suggest some overlooked war films  (Read 14089 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Please suggest some overlooked war films
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »
Tigerland get's overlooked cause it's always in the bargin bin at walmart and such. It's quite good though.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »
I recently got exposed to Samuel Fullers The Steel Helmet.  Its a movie about the Korean War which is remarkable in itself; but it also examines such complex issues as racism, treatment of enemy POWs, and the affliction of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (or Shell Shock as I prefer to call it).  The movie is decades ahead of its time, these issues were not really examined until after Vietnam, and here is a black and white movie about the Korean War exploring the subjects.

It can be instant watched on netflix, highly recommended.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:25:14 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
There is also Taegukgi, a recent Korean movie about the Korean war (two brothers fighting alongside and eventually on opposite sides). It's unbelievably violent and I'm not sure I'd recommend it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:16:02 PM by Tequila »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »
There is also Taegukgi, a recent Korean movie about the Korean war (two brothers fighting alongside and eventually on opposite sides). It's unbelievably violent and I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

I disliked it, I thought it was pretty derivative of Hollywood war films.  Although, the different cultural perspective is always interesting.  I heard its like the biggest movie ever in Korea, maybe I just missed something.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Davidginsberg

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:23 AM »
Can I suggest "Too late the hero" a great british war movie with Michael Caine.  It has a great plot and action but also an early example of a film that doesn't see WW2 in purely black and white terms.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »
This is probably not what you are looking for, but I am a fan of The Mouse the Roared in terms of war satire.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

choatime

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
Miklos Jancso's The Red and the White is about a group of Hungarians fighting in the Russian revolution.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
So, winrit, we're coming up on the two-year anniversary of the date you started this thread.  Have you checked out any of the suggestions so far?  How'd they work out for you?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »
I watched A Midnight Clear, which I liked, but it merged in my head with Joyeux Noël. Are these the same movie? I'm having trouble remembering what things came from which movie.

I'm interested in Tigerland. I'm going to look for that.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
I'm interested in Tigerland. I'm going to look for that.

Worth a look. It has Farrell in good film shocker

love