Author Topic: Please suggest some overlooked war films  (Read 14085 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Please suggest some overlooked war films
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
I really liked the 2011 South Korean war film called My Way, its based off a true story of an actual Korean man who was captured in Normandy by the Americans on D-Day.   
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

exskiman

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
A couple years back I took a course on Russian WWII cinema and there were quite a few gems in that.
As previously mentioned The Cranes Are Flying was probably my favorite film of the course so I'd really second that recommendation.
A film I've almost never heard anyone talk about which we also watched in the class that is an absolute masterpiece is Shepitko's The Ascent which features a performance by Anatoli Solonitsyn (probably best know as The Writer in Stalker) which to this day remains one of the most frightening characters I have ever seen.
It is probably also worth mentioning a film by Klimoff (Shepitko's husband, actually) called Come and See. I seem to be the only person in the world who has seen it who doesn't think its absolutely amazing but that may very well be because the film caused me to just shut down emotionally - so fair warning with that recommendation.
A few others from that class that I feel are worth a look are: Ballad of A Soldier, The Dawns Here Are Quiet, Fate of a Man, They Fought For Their Motherland, and Tarkovsky's first film Ivan's Childhood.

corvaxmuzzy

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
Unmentioned: 

The Beast of War (1988)
The Enemy (2011) *One of my top 100.  You're welcome!

robnix

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
I'm glad the German Stalingrad was mentioned, it's an outstanding film.

I'll add:

Front Line, set at the end of the Korean War.
The Boys in Company C - soccer in war before Victory made it silly.
Escape from Sobibor - escape from a Nazi death camp with Rutger Hauer. Based on a true story.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
Not sure if Tigerland holds up, I must of watched it when I was around 10 and it was pretty intense!

filmnoter

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Some where female characters are the focus, these don't have battles though!
Three Came Home
A Woman in Berlin
Ida
In Tranzit
Housewife, 49
The Land Girls (film)
Kapo

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
filmnoter, you should watch So Proudly We Hail.

filmnoter

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »
Thanks 1SO, so hard to catch up with old movies when they're cranking out new ones all the time!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
THE 9TH COMPANY 2005-  A really cool Russian film about 9th Company's Afghan campaign.  This was very well cast (even though I know none of them, it's just well acted for a buddy, military film), you get the locker room camaraderie and the dark parts of going through basic training and preparing for war.  There's one scene in particular that will probably turn people off, but the celebration of Venus had such weight, a feeling of brotherhood, lust, and peace before the storm.  The story itself has some flaws and with all war films it takes liberties with situations and realities of being down range, but the points are clear and appreciated.  I'm lacking on my military history of Russia's battles and eventual loss in Afghanistan, but this only makes me more curious.  It has a FULL METAL JACKET feel with plenty of Russian weirdness.  Very cool war movie, not better than Rambo 3, but certainly more realistic and a great look at the boys/men who have to do the fighting.  Heroes regardless of the politics behind any of this, I mean really even Alexander the Great had serious trouble in the area and the US is learning a hard lesson out there too.  Worth a watch for military film buffs.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
What is the talisman?

love