love

Author Topic: Happy Go Lucky  (Read 1840 times)

andyg

• My Site
Happy Go Lucky
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:14:47 PM »
Anyone else seen this new Mike Leigh film?

I like it pretty much. Felt some scenes went on too long. I wish it had focused more on the relationship between Poppy and the driving instructor. The scenes with those two were hilarious and as soon as those scenes come up I couldnt wait to see what would happen.  The audience would laugh as soon as his face came on screen.

Anyone else seen it? Some of you brits must have?

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Happy Go Lucky
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:50:20 AM »
Haven't yet, but can't wait to.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:15 AM »
EN-RA-HA

It's horrifically annoying.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »
It's not. I didn't love it though. Personally, I felt that a lot of the driving instructor scenes dragged on for too long and became redundant though.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »
It's a lot of fun.  Fascinating throwing a manic pixie dream girl into the midst of a Mike Leigh world of depressed and angry neurotics.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »
I kept hearing everybody say that people are either going to love or hate Sally Hawkins' performance in this movie. Thing is, I only heard that from people who were universally praising her performance. Maybe that inflated me expectations a bit, I'm not sure, but I hated her performance. It's not just that I found her character annoying, which quite likely was Leigh's intention, but I just think the performance was bad. She is completely one-note for all but a couple scenes, and when those scenes come about it feels like she is out of character because the performance is so narrow for the other 90% of the movie.

I will say that Eddie Marsan was great here, his scenes were the highlight of the film.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

thatguy_sam

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »
I thought the movie was pretty good, i really liked the scenes between sally and the driving instructor, you could feel the tension

I do agree with andyg about how some of the scenes drag on though
"How'd you like that one, tough guy? How fricking awesome was that, huh? " - Chev Chelios - Crank

Ben Jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:46:10 PM »
I loved it. I had a lot of fun with it, and I felt like the scenes with the driving instructor were perfect.