Author Topic: Top 5 Political Films  (Read 5049 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Top 5 Political Films
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
1. JFK
2. Z
3. Bulworth
4. Nashville
5. The American President

...and if I could put The West Wing here it would be #1 by the widest of margins.

gerryburns

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »

Just 5? 

In no order at the moment--

X--I watch this film about once a year. When I read Spike Lee was going to direct it, I was initially skeptical. But this film has to be one of the best films he's ever done.

Bloody Sunday--I love the Irish and this fllick about the Irish civil rights movement is incredible.

All the Presidents' Men -- creepy film that gets creepier as the years pass by....and, this,the last time the people could boast about real investigative journalism (vs main stream media)

Reds -- sends chills down spine just thinking about it. Reed's passion couldn't exist in today's kind of activism--he'd be killed or set up

The Insider--the rise of the corporatocracy. Corporations still hire their Pinkertons to protect profits (other whistleblower films: Silkwood, Norma Rae, China Syndrome, Rainmaker

Matewan--scabs & coal mines

Others I like and could be up there, too:  Syriana, Z, The wind that shakes the barley, Battle of Algiers, Bus 157, The Candidate, Manchurian Candidate (original), War Room, the Vernon Johns Story, King, Boycott, Missing, Taxi to the dark side....I'm sure there are more.

I've not seen The Deal or Street Fight; I'll find them. 
Power to the people!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »

...and if I could put The West Wing here it would be #1 by the widest of margins.

Bloody Sunday is a great choice, too.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Hibou

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
Well, in honor of the upcoming US election and my country's current election (I'm writing from Canada), how about the Top 5 Political Films?  Restrictions?  Just to narrow down the field, no documentaries...  The definition of political is open, but for me, doesn't necessarily have to be about a politician so much as politics in general...

My Top 5:

5. The Candidate (1972)  An obvious choice, but I think it still holds up.  Heard Redford was reprising the role for a sequel.... 

4. Nashville.  I don't think any other film encapsulates the seventies political climate better. 

3. Tanner '88/ Tanner on Tanner.  Altman again.  Kind of a cheat since it was made for HBO, but still... I think it is one of the sharpest political satires ever. 

2. Reds.  An epic romance about the birth of  American Communism.  Who would have thunk?

1. All the Presidents Men.  Yes, it is really a detective story when you get down to it, but a detective story where all the suspects are politicians.

There is a french version of this film, came out in 2007 I believe. I thought it was good but Ive not seen the original.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
Bumping this up. I am sure someone will want to talk about Dinesh D'Souza's Obama documentary.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
I kinda want to watch it out of morbid curiosity. Like a quest to figure out how wrong one man can be.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
I kinda want to watch it out of morbid curiosity. Like a quest to figure out how wrong one man can be.

Turning on the news seems like a more effective way to do that.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
That's probably why I haven't sought it out!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:20:40 AM »

Turning on the news seems like a more effective way to do that.

Was going to answer this. Teproc beat me to it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »
Bumping this up. I am sure someone will want to talk about Dinesh D'Souza's Obama documentary.

Have you heard him being interviewed? 

But since there is little about the Vietnam war that wasn't political, everybody should go watch that 18 hour documentary. Just amazing
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love