Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 109775 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Weekend
« Reply #980 on: July 09, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
Chipmunks it seems do not get weekend off.
:)

No Folk Fest, 'noff?

Nah, didn't plan far enough ahead. Good weekend for it though!

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #981 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Yeah, me neither.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #982 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
I'm back from Disney's D23 Expo. Like most conventions I saw and learned and did a lot of things. A bulk of the convention was spent learning about updates to the Disney Parks and Resorts, watching the induction of this year's Disney Legends and learning more about Disneyland's upcoming Cars Land.

I'm working on a really large report of the Disney Studios Presentation that I will post in Movie Buzz. Let me know here or through a PM if you want to know some of the other stuff.

p.s. FLY, I saw the cast of Fish Hooks, A.N.T. Farm, Shake it Up and Kickin It, but none of them made a lasting impression on me.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #983 on: August 21, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Yeah, those are (mostly) lower quality programs. I forget who exactly was there, but each show does have a few standouts that I really enjoy.

Fish Hooks is mostly the Chelsea Kane (Staub/Staub-Kane) show for me, and even then I really dislike her character. Actually I dislike that show a great deal. She was good in the JONAS shows though, and she danced with the stars.

I've only seen a couple episodes of Kickin' It because that's a Disney XD program and it's mostly new. The guy who was Leo Little (I don't think that's his real name) is the star, but I don't like him. I think Jason Earles of Hannah Montana fame - and of being incredibly old in comparison to the rest of the HM cast fame - is cool though, as is Moises Arias's brother.

A.N.T Farm is also very new, but I think that show has potential. It follows a formula very similar to Hannah Montana in the sense that the lead girl will be showcased as a musical talent. But that works because it seems like that Chyna girl can sing. Plus she was great on that WoWP Wizards vs. Angels special, even if she is a bit too perky and ought to learn to reign that in. Her brother and dad are goofs, her mother is mostly not on the show (while Miley/Hannah's was dead in HM), her BFF at school is a blonde semi-outcast, and the male friend has a crush on Chyna, while in HM Oliver ended up with Lilly. The kids who play Fletcher and Angus are pretty fun. Sierra McCormick, who plays Chyna's BFF Olive, is the clear standout for me though. I think the character is written incredibly well, especially compared to the other characters, but she brings a good deal to the character as well. I look for her to have a bright future.

Shake It Up seems to be the live action show that Disney is putting its chips behind. I wrote at length about it (I'll find the link later) when HM finished. Basically I think Bella Thorne (she has the same last name as FLY, which is super dank) and Zendaya have excellent chemistry. The two Hessenheifers are fun enough to cancel out that damn annoying little brother, and Ty is usually enough to cancel out Deuce...who also sucks. There's some Camp Rock pedigree with Ty as well, I think, but I may be mistaken. But yeah, Bella and Zendaya are talents.

Still, super super super dank that you saw them all. I actually think that of the LA's that Disney and Disney XD are currently airing I would rank them as follows:

1. Wizards of Waverly Place (though this is ending soon. Not sure when, but soon. Selena's character just graduated on the most recent episode)
2. Zeke and Luther (Ryan Newman is fantastic, Daniel Curtis Lee is fantastic, Adam Hicks is fantastic, and Hutch Dano isn't half bad either)
3. A.N.T Farm (There is promise here)
4. My Babysitter's A Vampire (this is, technically speaking, a really clean, nice looking show. I really wish I had seen the film that set it up as well. It's no So Weird, but Disney will never have a show of that caliber again, so this one could actually be pretty good.)
5. Shake It Up (There was promise here, but for now it's a show I like even though I wouldn't call it good)
6. Pair of Kings (Musso and Shaw are just so damn great to watch together, even if the show is terrible)
7. So Random! (This is an experiment gone horribly wrong. Such a talented cast, but without Demi it seems rather pointless for have it on air as it's worlds inferior to Sonny With A Chance)
8. Kickin' It (haven't seen much, but what I have seen is not good)

I think those are all of the shows. It's a bleak time for Disney, especially after their Golden Age of TV. Right now the Nickelodeon show Victorious is better than all of these shows except Wizards. They are clearly trying to manufacture stars, but while shows like Suite Life, Wizards, Sonny, and even HM to an extent, tried to expand what a Disney show could be, these are all taking steps backwards. Honestly, only two of those shows in their current state are good, and even Zeke and Luther is usually dependent on how much the supporting cast is integrated in to the stories.

Sad times all around.

BUT, that conventions seems incredible.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #984 on: August 21, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
So Weird was great!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #985 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
Here's a live performance of "Rainbow Connection" from the Expo. I'm sure this is one of those moments you had to be in the room for, but I especially loved the way they recover when Rowlf messes up at about 1:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJD4eLytkUY

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #986 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:51 AM »
Thanks to the Muslim new year and the SG presidential election happening this weekend, I get a 5 day weekend:)

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #987 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »
Got invited to some Moon Festival dinner thing with live performances and silent auctions and raffles and line dancing. The food was good but served so slowly that you could eat almost continuously and never get hungry. Moon cake is yummy. I bid on an incredibly tacky plate with a dragon and  "Marco Polo" painted on it, and won. I had no intention of winning it, I just bid to get the ball rolling ($30)... the thing's like a foot and a half wide! Oh well, good times.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #988 on: September 28, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
Got invited to some Moon Festival dinner thing with live performances and silent auctions and raffles and line dancing. The food was good but served so slowly that you could eat almost continuously and never get hungry. Moon cake is yummy. I bid on an incredibly tacky plate with a dragon and  "Marco Polo" painted on it, and won. I had no intention of winning it, I just bid to get the ball rolling ($30)... the thing's like a foot and a half wide! Oh well, good times.

i played quite a bit of Angry Birds Seasons: Moon Festival this weekend!

Pseuds

« Reply #989 on: October 01, 2011, 02:49:20 AM »
Work just turned my 3 day weekend turned into a 2 day weekend, disappointed but not surprised.
He made me feel like a third class witch doctor.

love