Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 109675 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Weekend
« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »
Watch a truck load of movies because other than that damn National Lampoon Vacation, I didn't watch anything.

I did like that tomato ketchup line however.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
I like this thread again.

Weekend's off to a fine start!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
I like this thread again.

Weekend's off to a fine start!

pixote

Go Brew Crew!

Seriously though, I have nothing against them except that Kevin Gregg completely screwed me over.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:18 AM »
So I'm finally home after a long weekend.

Flew up to Sydney Thursday, all fine.

Friday, the band played the Hymn and Test Piece, and did the Hymn the best we'd ever done it. Test piece was also very good. Listened to a few of the A Grade bands, including the sister band to the one I'm in, at their first A Grade comp.

Saturday was the street march at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney, right next to Homebush stadium where the 2000 Olympics were held. I had to do the inspection twice, once for the D Grade and for the A Grade as well, because two people were running late. It was pretty horrendous. The D Grade band came dead last, but the band never puts much of an emphasis on marching. I also had a look around the show, and bought a Warheads showbag! I also impressed myself by managing to not buy a showbag ironically, such as a Hannah Montana or Sesame Street one.

Sunday was the Own Choice and Stage March, and we performed early. Results were announced about two and a half hours later. We won the Own Choice, and didn't place lower than third in any of the other fields. The good news is, we won the own choice by a clear enough margin to take out the competition! So less than 18 months after forming, the band has won the title of best D Grade band in the Nation. We were pretty majorly stoked.

A Grade performed again in the evening, and performed an amazing piece called Earthquake that is simply amazing. There is a guy in the band, Angus, who plays cornet with D Grade, but is studying percussion at uni, and is a FREAK. He was simply brilliant to watch, and it was one hell of a performance. It was quite amusing, because he spent quite a long time setting up, causing annoyance in the audience. After, everyone was like, fair enough. It was great. The band didn't do too well, but considering it was their first competition as an A Grade band, we feel they acquitted themselves very admirably.

So last night there was a party, and I had a bottle of Cabernet Syrah that was very nice. But then people started giving me donations, and I got very drunk. Drunk enough that I was still extremely drunk at breakfast. And then I had to fly hungover, which wasn't overably pleasant. I'm still not feeling too well, although the litre odd of water that I've had in the past hour or so has helped immeasurably.

The best of all this is, I had a good weekend. A really good weekend  actually. Last year I hated the weekend, as I didn't really know anyone and spent the whole time in my room moping. This year, I made the effort to talk to people and be social in general, and it payed off big time. I'm exhausted and glad to be home, but in a great mood, and glad to have made the effort.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2009, 04:32:18 AM »
That sounds great, Muse.  Congrats on the win!

(I doubt anyone in the US will know what a showbag is though.)
Texan Down Under

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »
Congratulations Muse. Sounds like a really good weekend :). I definitely have no idea what a showbag is!

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
It's a bag... which you buy at a show... It's kinda hard to explain I guess. The show is sort of a county fair I suppose, with animals, and rides, and entertainment, and baking sections and so forth, and there's showbags. They cost anywhere from $1 through to probably about $30, and some have lollies, novelties, toys. The Hannah Montana one had a wig, as did many others, and there were more substantial ones that I didn't really see.

Mine was a Warheads one, and came with about 15 warheads, bubblegum, a lollypop with bubblegum in the middle, some sour things, that sort of stuff. It was $5, and that was why I bought it, along with recent boards discussion of warheads, which left me craving.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »
It's a bag... which you buy at a show... It's kinda hard to explain I guess. The show is sort of a county fair I suppose, with animals, and rides, and entertainment, and baking sections and so forth, and there's showbags. They cost anywhere from $1 through to probably about $30, and some have lollies, novelties, toys. The Hannah Montana one had a wig, as did many others, and there were more substantial ones that I didn't really see.

Mine was a Warheads one, and came with about 15 warheads, bubblegum, a lollypop with bubblegum in the middle, some sour things, that sort of stuff. It was $5, and that was why I bought it, along with recent boards discussion of warheads, which left me craving.

Sounds like a more elaborate version of a party bag. Those little bags kids leave from parties with that contain little candies and toys.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
So less than 18 months after forming, the band has won the title of best D Grade band in the Nation. We were pretty majorly stoked.

Awesome!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
I took last Thursday off, so a five-day weekend is coming to an end for me now. It included an overnight trip to Innsbruck (Austria), two lovely Mum-cooked lunches, three really good-to-great animated films, one fantastic live theatre performance, one plumbing emergency, a bit of spring cleaning and lots of sleep. All in all, not bad!

Setting the alarm clock to 6:15 am now... Ouch.

love