love

Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 109697 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Weekend
« Reply #380 on: August 23, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »
Cool that the weather cooperated.

Very! I'm hoping that's not the last nice weekend this summer. It would sure be nice to get away for labour day weekend.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #381 on: August 23, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »

Very! I'm hoping that's not the last nice weekend this summer. It would sure be nice to get away for labour day weekend.

I know Canadian Thanksgiving is a different date than American Thanksgiving--do we share the same Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September?)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I know Canadian Thanksgiving is a different date than American Thanksgiving--do we share the same Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September?)
Yeah, Labour Day is first Monday in September here too. We just put a 'u' in it.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:12:30 AM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #383 on: August 23, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
We just put a 'u' in it.  :)

How predictable  :D
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #384 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:28 AM »
Great photos, smirnoff!

There was an unexpected development during my weekend: on Friday, I met two of my equally anglophile friends, and the plan was to have tea and dinner, and then watch a BBC costume drama. Well, during dinner, one of my friends confessed to a Robert Pattinson/Twilight obsession, which resulted in us watching Twilight, because my other friend had read all the books and was curious about the film, and I couldn't help but be intrigued about the man (boy?) that had seduced my oh-so sophisticated friend. The film was rather horrible but weirdly entertaining in a train-wreck sort of way, but I couldn't for the life of me see what my two friends (or should I say the two squeeing little girls beside me on the couch) saw in that vampire. I honestly tried, but, ahem, no. It was so much fun to argue about the whole business, though, so it was not a waste of time ;)

The dinner my friends (not the same friends as above) made for me on Saturday was indeed the best thing ever. The goat cheese was seasoned with honey and rosemary, and my favourite part of the whole dinner.

What did I learn from this weekend? I have weird and wonderful friends (and the weirder they are, the more wonderful they are, too).

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #385 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
smirnoff - fab pics! Looks like it was a gorgeous trip.

Emiliana - your dinner sounds gorgeous, too.  :)
Re: Twilight - One of my closest friends (whose taste I trust) recently started reading the Twilight books because she teaches 7 and 8 graders, and she wanted to see what her girls were obsessing over. She found that instead of being able to give some wise words of caution to the girls, she herself has now been sucked into the world of the books. They are rather delicious in a weird juvenile way, she says.  ???
On Slate's Spoiler Specials, Dana Stevens's conversation about Twilight (the movie) a while back was really entertaining/interesting, I thought. Did you listen to it?

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #386 on: August 25, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
On Slate's Spoiler Specials, Dana Stevens's conversation about Twilight (the movie) a while back was really entertaining/interesting, I thought. Did you listen to it?

No, I didn't - maybe I will, even if I have no intention of letting myself get sucked into that world as well. I don't have the slightest doubt that I would have caught the virus equally badly had I read the books before accumulating all that snobbery and resistance towards it - I'm not normally one to pass up the opportunity of a good swoon  ;). But I am sure that if I started reading the books now, it would end in a DaVinci-Code-like scenario where I wouldn't be able to put the book down while being aware all the time that it's not very well-written (from what I understand) and that I really shouldn't be reading it.

Mostly, though, I guess it's me being stubborn and refusing/being unable to switch off my brain. Plus, Robert Pattinson is really, really weird-looking and creepy and unattractive to me, so I don't want or need his image in my head all the time.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #387 on: August 25, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »

No, I didn't - maybe I will, even if I have no intention of letting myself get sucked into that world as well. I don't have the slightest doubt that I would have caught the virus equally badly had I read the books before accumulating all that snobbery and resistance towards it - I'm not normally one to pass up the opportunity of a good swoon  ;). But I am sure that if I started reading the books now, it would end in a DaVinci-Code-like scenario where I wouldn't be able to put the book down while being aware all the time that it's not very well-written (from what I understand) and that I really shouldn't be reading it.
I'm with you on this!

Plus, Robert Pattinson is really, really weird-looking and creepy and unattractive to me, so I don't want or need his image in my head all the time.
:D

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #388 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Awesome pics smirnoff! Did I miss it? Where were you?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #389 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
Dogtooth Lake. :) Been there a couple times this year. We like it because it's not busy, canoe rentals are cheap and it's a good size for a weekend trip.

Google map link