Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 109689 times)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
Re: Weekend
« Reply #1000 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
Count on it.

Now you have to also post a pic of you winking and giving finger-guns with the text "Count On It" scrawled along the bottom.

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #1001 on: January 12, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
I think weekends are always planned around food and wine
Ain't that the truth.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1002 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
Home improvement update: single-handedly removed the bathtub today. I feel like one of those fishermen who has spent an hour reeling in a marlin. It was a real wrestling match, made tougher by not having all the exact tools a person would usually use for such a job.

The first difficulty was disconnecting the tub from the drainage plumbing. Being on a concrete slab and pinched between two walls meant my only access was from above. Supposedly a tool exists to unscrew a drain from the plumbing, thus releasing the tub from its last point of attachment. I did not have this tool, and sacrificed a pair of pliers in an attempt at improvisation. After it was clear I wouldn't be able to separate the drain from the plumbing I did the nest best thing, I separated the drain from the tub. Amid surprisingly sharp flecks of flying enamel paint chipping off in all directions, I spent about 20 minutes drilling holes around the drain. And then I spent 20 more minutes breaking the metal apart between each hole (a good job for a crumby pair of tin snips which I didn't mind abusing). It made for one ugly "cut" but separation was achieved. Next I had to figure out how to get a tub out of a room that was only as wide as the tub was long. Lemme tell you, pivoting a tub up out of a bind like that is no fun at all. It's heavy, it's sharp-edged, and it snags on everything as you try and pivot into standing position so it'll go through the door. I had to do a lot of swearing to get it to cooperate.  ;D

But it's done now, which is a big step. Tomorrow is going to be dedicated to lifting up the old lino and tediously removing all the  old glue residue etc in preparation for tiling. Unlike the tub removal, this will not be a 'new' experience for me. I'm already fully aware how boring of a job it is.  ;)

My catch of the day                    -                                and the stubborn drain that refused to come along.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1003 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
 :o My back hurts thinking about your clash with the bathtub. What are you going to do with with the space now?

I'd say you should mount your catch on the wall, but then you'd be back to square one.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1004 on: February 25, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
:o My back hurts thinking about your clash with the bathtub. What are you going to do with with the space now?

I'd say you should mount your catch on the wall, but then you'd be back to square one.

Haha! Well, the plan is to just put in a shower base and tile it all in. I'm not a bath guy so I'm going to make it the way I want it. :)

This is similar to the base and door unit I'll be using.
It gives you an idea of what'll fill that space.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1005 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:27 AM »
You could have a party in that shower......is that the point?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1006 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »
 :D   

Way to be proactive smirnoff! Please post pics (not of a party, but) of the tiling.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1007 on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Will do! :)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1008 on: February 27, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »
Good stuff!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #1009 on: March 25, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
It was the first day of British Summer Time today, and it has been a sunny day. It's 7pm and its still light.
Sundays and sunny days can only mean one thing - headaches and thick heads at work tomorrow ;D.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

love