Author Topic: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection  (Read 22827 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
I argue for Toy Story and Nightmare Before Christmas on the basis that both of these are destined to be classic kids movies (Nightmare maybe for older kids) that will be discovered by and influential to future movie fans at a  young age.  I think both are total classics that will be watched by coming generations like The Wizard of Oz is now.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
    • Forced Perspective
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Schizopolis!

So true. I'll try to write something about it soon.
I'm like Cold Stone: you either like me, love me, or gotta have me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
Limiting myself to only 5 choices, I would like to see the following resurrected...

Se7en
Fight Club
Toy Story
The Nightmare Before Christmas
In the Company of Men

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »
1.   74. The Last Of The Mohicans
2.   71. Bottle Rocket
10.  69. Hoop Dreams

yes.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
the idea is to make a case, something to convince oad that your preferred films are worthy of being resurrected.  i'm not sure how helpful a mere a list of films will be to oad to aid in her decision-making.  as in my initial lazy post, i at least linked to somewhere else i had written on the merits of Safe
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »
the idea is to make a case, something to convince oad that your preferred films are worthy of being resurrected.  i'm not sure how helpful a mere a list of films will be to oad to aid in her decision-making.  as in my initial lazy post, i at least linked to somewhere else i had written on the merits of Safe

meh, lists are so much easier.  and quoting other people's lists is easier than that.

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »

I imagine she can figure out why people like these movies for herself, and that a general idea of which films people are most excited about will give her a better idea of where to look than one individual's personal opinion.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

I was hoping not to put in that much effort. But here's my case: Hoop Dream and Safe are brilliant. And I like Big Night a lot too. Convincing?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
I would write something but it's been pretty long since I've seen the films (memory and some other stuff tells me they should be looked at; except Hoop Dreams but I'll just cite pix's review of the film as proof enough). If they were fresher in my mind...

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
I'd like to see Terminator 2: Judgement Day come back. The reason is I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better balanced film between action, plot and characters. The pacing is tight despite it's two and a half runtime. And it's also probably among the 6 films I've seen that actually use narration well. Linda Hamilton is badass this time around (unlike that wussie in the first film) and Arnie is back in a role that fits his bulk and face well. The dialogue is hilarious and smart without ever being the typical corny action jargon. I generally dislike action flicks but this is one of the few I absolutely love and own.

Also, The Truman Show should be given a second chance. I think there's a lot of depth in the philosophical exploration the film makes. It begs the question What is real a few years before The Matrix does. The core concept is pure genius and sparked and entire movement of crappy reality television shows. And Jim Carry walks a perfect line between dramatic and silly. He's probably one of the most likable characters I've ever seen on screen. Also, this is the one film I recommend to everyone because I've yet to come across a person (in real life) who didn't like this film. I say let's give Truman a second chance in our little manipulative game of 90's US bracket.