love

Author Topic: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection  (Read 38202 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Keith, you're never right. You should know this by now  8)

Clearly wrong.

I guess you'll never learn.  :P
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
I voted perfectly happy, but have now realized I'm not. Why didn't Se7en go through?

I didn't put Se7en through because 1) I wanted to choose only one Fincher film 2) my sense was that most people (not all, of course) thought Fight Club was more seminal Fincher than Se7en and 3) skjerva is convincing.  :)

What about Toy Story? Toy Story is better than Fight Club and The Matrix combined. What is the deal? . . . I thought I did. In that it was both one of the most innovative films of the last 20 years and, unlike The Matrix, it is a perfect film in its writing, direction and even voice acting. It is a poignant film about friendship and it's damn funny and exciting. But I guess the Brad Bird love-fest had to win out.

It was hard to leave Toy Story behind given the love that so many have for it, but ultimately, I didn't see specific, compelling arguments being made for it. What you write above are claims, not specific evidence (can you tell I've been grading student essays?  ;) ). For the record, it wasn't a Brad Bird love fest for me - Toy Story is still probably my favorite Pixar film.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2008, 05:34:30 PM »
I pictured you typing that post not with your fingers but with a pair of red pencils.

Put them down!  It's Christmas break!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
I pictured you typing that post not with your fingers but with a pair of red pencils.

pixote

:D

Done!

I'm going to go put on some Christmas music.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »
What about Toy Story? Toy Story is better than Fight Club and The Matrix combined. What is the deal? . . . I thought I did. In that it was both one of the most innovative films of the last 20 years and, unlike The Matrix, it is a perfect film in its writing, direction and even voice acting. It is a poignant film about friendship and it's damn funny and exciting. But I guess the Brad Bird love-fest had to win out.

It was hard to leave Toy Story behind given the love that so many have for it, but ultimately, I didn't see specific, compelling arguments being made for it. What you write above are claims, not specific evidence (can you tell I've been grading student essays?  ;) ). For the record, it wasn't a Brad Bird love fest for me - Toy Story is still probably my favorite Pixar film.

The only thing I can say to that is that Toy Story is a brilliant movie on the same level as The Iron Giant and that it should have the edge if only for it's technological innovations. Also, I figure both of them deserve a spot.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
The only thing I can say to that is that Toy Story is a brilliant movie on the same level as The Iron Giant and that it should have the edge if only for it's technological innovations. Also, I figure both of them deserve a spot.
You got three of your top five in there, you greedy hamster.  And have you seen Schizopolis, or are you just assuming Toy Story is more worthy?

Also, hi.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2008, 06:43:58 PM »

pixote

I was thinking the exact same thing.  :D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »
You got three of your top five in there, you greedy hamster.  And have you seen Schizopolis, or are you just assuming Toy Story is more worthy?

Also, hi.

pixote

I haven't seen Schizopolis, which is why I voted for it to be resurrected. And damn you, BFF, for using my own words against me.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:44 PM »
I voted perfectly happy, but have now realized I'm not. Why didn't Se7en go through?

I didn't put Se7en through because 1) I wanted to choose only one Fincher film 2) my sense was that most people (not all, of course) thought Fight Club was more seminal Fincher than Se7en and 3) skjerva is convincing.  :)

its catching.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »

not so convincing to get one of the three in i wanted  ;) but it is good to know i played a part at keeping Se7en out, i probably feel better about that than having gotten one of the other three in :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love