love

Author Topic: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection  (Read 38208 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: for oneaprilday: cases for resurrection
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »
Fight Club
How does the 8th greatest director of all time not even have a film in the 3rd round?  Unenlightened decision making on the part of a previous bracket judges ;).  Kidding, J5er struggled quite a bit with his decision and rightfully so. Fight Club is a expertly made film that uses all the tricks in Mr. Fincher’s arsenal in service of a consitantly fun yet provocative plot.  As has been discussed elsewhere this film is the 90s equivalent of the masterpiece of German Expressionism, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.  That film used the techniques of its day to in the first person tale of a mentally unstable man who dreams up a bizarre fantasy to equit himself of murder and kidnapping by pinning it all on a somnambulist.  Somnambulist - someone who walks about in their sleep.  What is the one thing we are positive about our narrator “Jack” (in fact the main character in the film has no name!)? Its that he cannot sleep but what we come to learn is that he is a sleepwalker himself.  He relates to us the story of how he met Tyler Durden.  Again what we come to realize is that “Jack” is himself mentally unstable and that what we see onscreen is the manifestation of his schizophrenic world as brilliantly rendered by Fincher’s use of FX, camera trickery and moody set design.  Much like Caligari’s framed story which Robert Wiene fills with stilted sets jagged edges and gothic make-up.   The images in Fight Club mirror much of the same contradictions that inhabit the though processes of its Gen-X characters in their search for meaning amongst corporate anonymity.  Branding is both savaged and glorified in the self same schizophrenic fashion that our narrator lives in.  There are people who crave order and chaos at the same time. 

Truly this needs resurrection. 

Also:

Gattaca
Ed Wood
Schizopolis (Cuz I want to get it in round 3 :D )
The Matrix
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:22:36 PM by _Keith_ »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of making my decision about resurrections now, and I've been reading through these fun cases for resurrection today and picking back through the 90's bracket commentary thread to get a sense of where people stand on these films. Rather than choosing my own favorites, I'd like to be a benevolent god and put through the five films that most people would like to see in the next round, so I'm giving priority to films that seem to be generating most love and to films that have been most eloquently argued for.

So far, two clear favorites stand out and will most likely go through - these films have made the top of many of your lists and they have also been well-argued for:

Fight Club
Hoop Dreams

Other films that I'm considering based on level of interest and argument - deciding on these last three will be trickier:

The Matrix (pix makes a nice case in this thread for this one)
Toy Story (seems more popular than Toy Story 2)
South Park (pix also makes a case for this one, too, though I'd like to hear a few more arguments for it as I've not seen it and I honestly have no interest in it)
Schizopolis (Basil makes a great case for this one, and I'm leaning in its favor though I've not seen it)
Safe (skjerva's arguments for this one are pretty compelling though there seem to be a number of you who really dislike it - again, I've not seen it)
Seven - this discussion has been well-documented - I find arguments pro and con compelling. I am reluctant, though, to put another Fincher through
Last of the Mohicans
Jackie Brown
Iron Giant
Bottle Rocket
Big Night
The Truman Show

Nightmare Before Christmas

So! I'd like to decide on a final five in the next couple of hours before I have to go out tonight. Speak now or forever hold your peace. I want to know which one or two films (please, no more than that) of the second above list you would like to see put through. Make a case, convince me! (If you'd like to put forward a film not on that list but eligible for resurrection, that's great, but don't just give me a title, give me some compelling reasons to favor your choice. If you would like to make a case against Hoop Dreams or Fight Club, do that now, too.)

Thanks, btw, skjerva, for starting this thread - it's been incredibly helpful!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
I would really like for either Iron Giant or Nightmare Before Christmas to be in over any of the other animated films. Especially South Park which is really just a long mediocre episode of the show with some good songs. And Nightmare Before Christmas has a good story and is not annoying along with the good songs.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »
I know not many people have seen Schizopolis; perhaps that factor diminishes or improves its chances of resurrection. If not a universally loved film, it seems to be one that at least sparks discussion, and that makes for the most fascinating verdicts. Many Filmspotters have expressed much interest in checking it out, which is the best case I can make for its resurrection.
A$AP Fables

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
I would second the case Schizopolis. I'd hesitate before saying it has a legitimate chance at taking the bracket (which I doubt it does), but it probably needs to be seen by more people than is currently the case.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »
I know not many people have seen Schizopolis; perhaps that factor diminishes or improves its chances of resurrection. If not a universally loved film, it seems to be one that at least sparks discussion, and that makes for the most fascinating verdicts. Many Filmspotters have expressed much interest in checking it out, which is the best case I can make for its resurrection.

I had it as one of my first round matchups and even though I mentioned that it took me a while to get into it, I was really very pleasantly surprised by the film. I watched it again after that and found even more to like about it the next time around. Three reasons why I think it's a pretty good film to resurrect: a.) I agree with Basil that many people seem to want to check it out; b.) It's really original and different and stands by itself imo and c.) It's really fun to watch and isn't that why we are having this bracket in the first place?

I didn't put it on my list of six to resurrect but thinking about it in terms of what movies I'd like more people to watch as opposed to which are my favorite movies in the eligible list makes me inclined to put in a word for Schizopolis.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
I wish I could go back and put Schizopolis through.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Middle-aged characters whose main concerns are inevitable weight-gaining, hair-loss and getting stuck with jobs they hate for another 25 years because you don't change careers in your 40s don't often get their due in Hollywood films; bring back Jackie Brown!

Jackie Brown

I really thought the editing here, unlike The English Patient, was a huge plus to the film and really controlled the release of a story which was just as long as Minghella's film but never dragged in the least and doled out installments that felt individually satisfying as the build to the whole. The space was controlled with the cuts, keeping the viewer moving through the sets and actively engaged in the storyline in as much as it should. To be more succinct, the editing always maintained the camera's perspective in a position that cooperated with the telling of the narrative.
This really shouldn't be underestimated. Take the introduction of Fonda's character, for example. There are three people in the room, but you wouldn't know it if you're watching it for the first time, because the two characters on screen don't acknowledge her, and so she's kept off the frame.

That is, until Ordell needs a drink.

And so she starts creeping her way into the film. First, the legs.

Then the arm.

Then the other arm.

Until she is fully acknowledged (when she is finally of relevance to them; she has their drinks)

And once she's in, Louis can't ignore her.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Grade A storytelling. That is, on top of great dialogue, acting, music, etc.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:06:47 PM by duder »

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
Other than that I'd most like to see Heat back, but that's out the window, so FWIW, and considering your shortlist, I'm throwing some support in favor of The Iron Giant and Safe.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:39:54 PM by duder »

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »
No one's making a case for The Straight Story, you say? Not even on OAD's list of potentials you say? Right....

This is pixote's verdict. For me, Pix is normally right about nearly everything. This film though, nah. Waaaay off the mark. You got fooled pixote, you and everyone else. Look closer....

"Your brother knows better than anyone else who you are and what you are."

This is a totally misunderstood film that deserves resurrection on its own terms.

Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

love