Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 78597 times)

Barry

Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:49:41 AM »
The Road Cormac McCarthy 5/5

I guess Oprah knows what she's talking about sometimes.  Won't get too much into plot but it's a simple story about a father and son that really hits you in the gut by the end.  I imagine this book will hit home for parents; I don't have kids but I certainly developed an emotional attachment to the characters.  I'm really interested to see how the movie turns out.

I have such a hard time with Cormac McCarthy. I made it through "All the Pretty Horses" and about half way through "The Crossing" but he's just so damn sad. I know he writes beautifully sometimes but honestly, there's just nothing about "The Road", book or movie, that makes me want to see it.

Currently reading "The Wizard of Oz". (No, seriously.) 

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »

It's Neil Gaiman. It's Marvel. What's not to like? I just wish I knew a little more about the Marvel universe so some of the characters made more sense.

It's made me very keen to read Ghost World. It was weird. The stories were almost caricatures in and of themselves. I did like it.

I think.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

I guess Oprah knows what she's talking about sometimes.  Won't get too much into plot but it's a simple story about a father and son that really hits you in the gut by the end.  I imagine this book will hit home for parents; I don't have kids but I certainly developed an emotional attachment to the characters.  I'm really interested to see how the movie turns out.

QFL.  Brilliant story.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »

QFL.  Brilliant story.

Pretty surprised it hasn't really been on anyone's top 20 list.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
It would've been near the top of mine, if I was in any way qualified to make a good top 20 list.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
It would've been near the top of mine, if I was in any way qualified to make a good top 20 list.

Make a list of 1.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
Kafka on the Shore

Filmspotters should have picked this.

I'm too lazy to fix my top 20 but this belongs in it (probably top 5).

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
Sputnik Sweetheart

Really short but also really heartbreaking.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

Sometime in the future (I think), a father and son, who remain nameless throughout, travel by foot from 'somewhere' to the south, in the hopes of finding...something better than the devastated and ash-ridden region they use to live in. Peculiar and dangerous characters are met along the way.

The story certainly kept me turning the pages, as did my own hope that the two protagonists would indeed find a new home, or whatever it was they expected to find in the south. This being my first McCarthy novel, I can't say I was totally sold on his writing technique. It felt a bit bland. There were several sentences that went :' The father did b and c and d and e and f and...' I didn't like that very much. I can understand the usefulness for the almost bland and downbeat narration. The emotional and psychological sate of the two characters must have been equally downbeat. Their determination and hope are hanging on by a thread, they are tired, frustrated, afraid. Therefore, the narration can feel appropriate. I just couldn't help but find it a bit bland. Still, I enjoyed it for its story and characters.

The Alchemist, by Paulo Cuelho

A young Spanish shepherd is prompted by a gypsy future reader and then a king (!) to follow his destiny, which is a apparently to find a brilliant treasure near the pyramids in Egypt. The boy agrees to this and meets a host of colorful and helpful characters along the way.

This really was a joy to read. The narration is playful and entertaining, as are almost all the characters that appear at one point or another along the boy's quest. It's well known that the story itself is a thinly disguised metaphor for a theme that should ( I hope) resonate with most people in the world, regardless of nationality or background. It's an honest and positive message. The descriptions of the characters and places were very entertaining and lively. Put simply, it was one of the best books I had read in some time.

-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 03:40:20 AM »
Martha Quest (Doris Lessing)
Let's just say I'm not gonna read the other four books in the series.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/