Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 92021 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1890 on: August 27, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
The Patternist Series by Octavia Butler
Octavia Butler is one of my favorite authors of all.

Coming soon to Amazon with Viola Davis producing and Nnedi Okorafor writing. Seems like a perfect team for the project.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/wild-seed-drama-series-based-on-sci-fi-book-in-works-at-amazon-from-viola-davis-julius-tennons-juvee-productions-1202583070/

;D ;D ;D :o ??? 8)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1891 on: August 27, 2019, 06:29:01 PM »
The Fifth Season (Jemisin)

Read this on my cruise last December and enjoyed it but struggled with its varying perspective. It has some second-person narration at points IIRC. The second book proved insurmountable.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1892 on: August 29, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood - Peter Biskind

This should be called kill your idols: the book. It's really a chronicle of misogyny and domestic abuse in Hollywood from Denis Hopper beating his wife to Friedkin controlling and manipulating his partner and forcing her to get an abortion to Beatty forcing himself onto women. The boys club of the new Hollywood were actually really awful egomaniacs. Even Scorsese who I always considered more of an academic cinephile had an affair with Liza Minelli. I'm surprised this book didn't get mentioned more during the MeToo movement because it is an incredible document especially considering it was originally released in the 1990s.
When people go on about boycotting Allen or Polanski they should really consider the fact that literally all of these filmmakers are abusers.
The behind the scenes of the industry also feels incredibly slimy, with millions of dollar getting thrown around and people lying, manipulating each other and arguing to get films produced.
That being said, I couldn't stop reading this book and loved picturing these behind the scenes moments of some of my favourite movies. It's both a fascinating and condemning read.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:05:11 PM by Beavermoose »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1893 on: September 17, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
A Wizard of Earthsea (Le Guin)

The work of a master storyteller. Le Guin creates a vast, deep, and rich world in remarkably concise prose. It's epic in every sense of the word and there are scenes of surprising terror. The shadow is a fantastic creation. I just got the rest of the books in the series and can't wait to dive in.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1894 on: October 16, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »

Middle-of-the-road true crime story, not really an interesting case but the killer is such a major asshole you keep reading to see what he'll do next. Rule's usual annoying habits are here: painting the victims as impossibly wonderful, breathtakingly gorgeous women, and a drooling worship of law enforcement (Rule was a former cop) to the point where she handily glosses over any mistakes they make. Also, she demonizes one woman (decidedly NOT gorgeous, according to Ann) and I believe she does it simply because she's bisexual. And she wrings her hands for too much about online romance.

3/5
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1895 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
The Fifth Season: The Broken Earth Trilogy #1 by N.K. Jemisin

I am not sure that any trilogy has achieved each volume winning the "Best Novel".  Of course, I am not sure that any novel has been able to maintain such consistency and depth of characters, while revealing a complex future world with both fantasy and science fiction elements and such intricate plotting since Dune.   I am now addicted to this series and to these people's struggles, discoveries and triumphs that become defeats. 

The Broken Earth is a potential future in which not climate but geothermal calamities transform both the earth and humanity to such a degree as they are almost unrecognizable.  This disaster cast aside the ancient prejudices between men and women and races, but new, even more deadly prejudices emerge.  With each marginalized group comes their own power and their own powerful guards, both human and systemic.  Behind the surface we see how ability, fear and bias work together to be innately human, but also foreign to humanity.

I'm devouring the second book at this time, now.

4.5/5

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1896 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
I tried to get into this book but the shifts in person plus the fact that every character had this abrasive edge to them made me give up halfway through.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1897 on: October 16, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
I made it a bit into the second book but also found the shifts in perspective, especially the parts in second person, to be highly off putting.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1898 on: October 16, 2019, 06:15:59 PM »
I haven't had any trouble with that.  Just part of the style that helps me, especially in audio form, to quickly gain my footing as to which story she's telling.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1899 on: October 31, 2019, 03:18:41 PM »

I was a huge fan of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer as a young man, I was surprised to realize that I never really followed up with any reading about Lucas. This seemed to be the highest rated book about him... when it arrived, I was a little disappointed to see how thin it is. I don't expect it will take me long to get through. So far, it's a compelling but very depressing read. The second chapter is brutal; Lucas's childhood was unbelievably harsh. It's hard to imagine how someone emerges from that situation WITHOUT becoming a serial killer.

I finished this a little while ago and forgot to write about it. The story of Lucas & Toole is frustrating for a true crime fan because they made so many false confessions it's impossible to know what really happened. The book is fascinating and I learned a lot about them (it's interesting how much McNaughton changes in his film, though he never claims it to be a faithful telling). Still, one can't help but wish for more of the story, nor can one help doubting the veracity of any of it. 4/5
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap