love

Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194231 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
I might not have thought so, but just reading the last part this week made me want to go back and revisit the first three.  And then when I was pulling quotes from my review, I saw some cool bits that I'd forgotten about and really wanted to delve back into.

I can't wait until the Disney marathon (which I fully intend to catch up on) gets to Sword and the Stone.  I always assumed that was a heavily Disneyfied adaptation of the original book, so I was surprised how similar White's version actually was (going by memory of the film anyway).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

World War Z
Max Brooks
(Audiobook version)

Read by a full cast, this is quite the listen. I got the book when it first came out and started reading it but got distracted. I noticed that the audiobook version was only 6 hours long so I listened to it while painting a hallway. Very exciting, right? Well, the stories contained within the book created a world that seemed both real and very, very scary. Zombies scare the shit out of me to begin with, and this version of a zpocalypse was fully realized.

I look forward to the movie adaptation, as long as they keep the world coverage and not focus on that one army guy.

A-.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:51:00 PM by pixote »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »
Quote from: amazon
It is a tale of revolution, of the rebellion of the former Lunar penal colony against the Lunar Authority that controls it from Earth. It is the tale of the disparate people--a computer technician, a vigorous young female agitator, and an elderly academic--who become the rebel movement's leaders. And it is the story of Mike, the supercomputer whose sentience is known only to this inner circle, and who for reasons of his own is committed to the revolution.
A compelling story and with political issues that really hit home. I couldn't be more satisfied! Thought-provoking, imaginative, and entertaining. Everything I've come to expect from Heinlein.

I'd recommend it to anybody, especially American history buffs ;)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
Quote from: amazon
It is a tale of revolution, of the rebellion of the former Lunar penal colony against the Lunar Authority that controls it from Earth. It is the tale of the disparate people--a computer technician, a vigorous young female agitator, and an elderly academic--who become the rebel movement's leaders. And it is the story of Mike, the supercomputer whose sentience is known only to this inner circle, and who for reasons of his own is committed to the revolution.
A compelling story and with political issues that really hit home. I couldn't be more satisfied! Thought-provoking, imaginative, and entertaining. Everything I've come to expect from Heinlein.

I'd recommend it to anybody, especially American history buffs ;)
Read that earlier this yr - now working on A Stranger in a Strange Land...
Hey, nice marmot!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
Awesome! I Look forward to hearing what you think!

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
Heinlein fans should definitely give John Scalzi's Old Man's War a look.  Loved that book and looking forward to the rest of the series.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
Sounds great Colleen, thanks for the head's up! :)

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »
Well, the stories contained within the book created a world that seemed both real and very, very scary. Zombies scare the shit out of me to begin with, and this version of a zpocalypse was fully realized.

See, I guess that's what I missed when reading it. It reads very clinically, which I really appreciated. It takes a hell of a lot for me to get emotional while reading. I only think I've cried a handful of times, and I'm not sure I've ever been scared. Maybe on-edge and too charged to sleep, but not scared.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
Well, the stories contained within the book created a world that seemed both real and very, very scary. Zombies scare the shit out of me to begin with, and this version of a zpocalypse was fully realized.

See, I guess that's what I missed when reading it. It reads very clinically, which I really appreciated. It takes a hell of a lot for me to get emotional while reading. I only think I've cried a handful of times, and I'm not sure I've ever been scared. Maybe on-edge and too charged to sleep, but not scared.

I would certainly recommend the audiobook in that case.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:08 AM »
The Princess Bride

Read it again. 7th or 8th time. This book is perfection.

10/5
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad