Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194357 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #340 on: December 26, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
I got King's The Dome and Last Words by George Carlin. Might start the Carlin book first because it is the one that isn't 1,074 pages long.

My two favorite King books are The Stand and It.  I'm so looking forward to another huge epic with a big cast.  At least that's what I'm expecting.  I hope I'm not disappointed.

me too. I love The Stand. I hope his new one can be half as good.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #341 on: December 26, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
I got King's The Dome and Last Words by George Carlin. Might start the Carlin book first because it is the one that isn't 1,074 pages long.

My two favorite King books are The Stand and It.  I'm so looking forward to another huge epic with a big cast.  At least that's what I'm expecting.  I hope I'm not disappointed.

me too. I love The Stand. I hope his new one can be half as good.

My favorite King book is Misery. Anne Wilkes chills me to the bone. I liked Different Seasons a lot as well. I think his best movie adaptation so far are The Shawshank Redemption followed by Stand By Me, both taken from Different Seasons.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #342 on: December 26, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
I really liked the first forty pages of Cell
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2009, 06:09:52 AM »

agreed. that one started to get into the silly, weird style that King has had in some of his more recent books. that is why i am a little wary of the Dome. On the surface it appears to be inspired by the Simpsons movie.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #344 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12:26 AM »

agreed. that one started to get into the silly, weird style that King has had in some of his more recent books. that is why i am a little wary of the Dome. On the surface it appears to be inspired by the Simpsons movie.
Except you can download early drafts from something like 20 years ago. This is an idea born long before the Simpsons Movie.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan.

My younger brother recommended this to me so I asked for it for Christmas. I read it and now you're reading my review. Weird, right? Anyways, it was pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking. I really enjoyed most of the story elements and the way Greek culture/gods and such were integrated into the modern world.

My biggest problem was with the writing. I was more annoyed in the beginning and by the end Riordan seemed to be better at not being so damned corny. I guess it fits with a first person 10 year old character, but I still didn't really like some of the attempts at humor. I'm looking forward to the other four books to see if this goes away or develops or whatever. It's no The Giver or His Dark Materials, that's for sure.

I don't want to be too negative, though, because I really liked reading this story. It's a quick read and flows quite well. It's got a bunch of action which is well told. And it's pretty clever.

B.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »
The Walking Dead Vol 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore.

Kirkman's prologue and the last page or two elevate this book (and series, I presume) above other zombie stories. The first promises us that the series' long (and still unfinished) story will differentiate it from the rest of the zombie lore because it'll keep the story going past where other movies' end credits would be. This is an interesting idea, a long form zombie survival story, though the rest of this volume doesn't do much beyond set up the characters and put them in the typical zombie scenario. But those last couple of pages show that Kirkman knows what he's doing and how he's going to shape these people. It doesn't really do anything new, either, but I guess It's not supposed to yet. I liked it, it looked good, I'll keep reading.

B+.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
The Walking Dead Vol 2: Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard.

Ok, this is good. I love what Kirkman and Adlard can do with just one panel (I'm thinking of the kid, Carl, pulling his gun out of the holster during a tense scene) to show how much these characters have changed in the span of a few issues. There isn't quite the wholesale changes that Kirkman promised in his introduction yet, but I guess those kind of come in pieces. I like the way that the familiar zombie situations (a farm, hunting in the woods) are tweaked, ever so slightly. I'll certainly keep reading.

A-.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
Oh Junior, it's adorable how you're so hooked on phonics.
A$AP Fables

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
I know, right. I'm all cultured now and shit.

love