love

Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194266 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #670 on: April 02, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

A pretty interesting read about the rise of the finacial sector in the 1980's. It's the true account of the world depicted in Wall Street. The scariest thing is how closely this fall mirrors the 2008 fall. People simply do not learn lessons from past failures, especially when money is involved.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Into Thin Air

Breathtaking. To think there are people who choose to attempt something with a one in seven death rate (Everest) or even worse a one in two death rate (Annapurna). Not only do they choose it they pay tens of thousands of dollars.

The death rate among Bering fisherman, the most deadly job on earth, is 1.4 in 1000!

The story of Beck Weathers is a Grimes fairytale that would never be believed if it were not in fact true.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:58:10 PM by Clovis8 »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
The Power that Preserves

A powerful end to a typical fantasy story with a unique hero.  In the end, the story is all about this anti-hero, Thomas Covenant who has leprosy and who cannot believe in the world he suffers in or else he cannot care for himself in his diseased state.  In this volume, he chooses to reject the world he is a hero in so that he might save a child in our world. The results of this difficult choice is powerful, and the conclusion of the trilogy is worth all the suffering that comes before.  Now I remember why this is one of my favorite fantasies of all time.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
Clovis, you'd probably enjoy No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs.  I didn't love all of it, but the stories associated with his climbs were unbelievably incredible. 
Texan Down Under

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #674 on: April 04, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »
Clovis, you'd probably enjoy No Shortcuts to the Top: Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs.  I didn't love all of it, but the stories associated with his climbs were unbelievably incredible.

Thanks I will check it out. I tend to go on binges and right now I am on a climbing binge. :D I have been watching movies, documentaries and now reading about it.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #675 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
Have you read Touching the Void?  I would also recommend Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering'​s Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters by James M. Tabor and K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
by Ed Viesturs
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #676 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
Have you read Touching the Void?  I would also recommend Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering'​s Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters by James M. Tabor and K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
by Ed Viesturs

I have read these. Touching the Void is my favorite documentary of all time. I love the book also.

It sounds like you have all read many of these. Can you help me remember something?

I was trying to tell my girlfriend about a climbing or mountaineering book I had read and one of the stories I remember is this crazy guy who wants to solo Mount McKinley. He has to cross this huge glacier to get there and is worried about falling in a crevasse so he buys a pole and sticks in horizontal in his backpack hoping it will catch him if the earth gives out. 

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #677 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
I would NOT recommend the film version of Into This Air (in case you were thinking about it). I believe Shooter McGavin plays Jon Krakauer. It's nothing special.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #678 on: April 04, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Was it from In the Shadow of Denali: Life and Death on Alaska's Mt. McKinley by Jonathon Waterman?  That sounds familiar?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #679 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
Was it from In the Shadow of Denali: Life and Death on Alaska's Mt. McKinley by Jonathon Waterman?  That sounds familiar?

Nope can't be that. I have not read it.

love