love

Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194336 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1780 on: July 28, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
It took me like four tries, too. In the end, I came around to the idea that the book is written as if none of this stuff is out of the ordinary. It was really the stuff about the fairy world that captured me, the enchanting danger it represents and the idea that it's hidden around corners everywhere. I'm glad it finally got you, Sandy. The TV show is pretty great as well and doesn't drag as much, if you ever get the time to watch it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1781 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
One of the best books of the 21st Century.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1782 on: August 14, 2017, 11:44:13 PM »
The Dry A pretty straight forward murder mystery set in the Australian outback that blends present and past events. I'm not too involved in the genre, so I can't compare it to much, but I really enjoyed the story. It's well written and kept my interest. Originally I bought the book because I wanted a stand alone story not part of a series. But apparently a sequel is coming out, so I guess I have to read that now...
4/5

The Knights' Tales Oldkid recommended The Squires Tales by Gerald Morris, but I accidently bought these by the same author. They are a series of short stories about King Arthur's knights. They are simple and funny and I really enjoyed them. I'd read the Squires Tales as well, but unfortunately Audible doesn't have them.
4/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1783 on: August 21, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
It took me like four tries, too. In the end, I came around to the idea that the book is written as if none of this stuff is out of the ordinary. It was really the stuff about the fairy world that captured me, the enchanting danger it represents and the idea that it's hidden around corners everywhere. I'm glad it finally got you, Sandy. The TV show is pretty great as well and doesn't drag as much, if you ever get the time to watch it.

The fairy roads caught my attention and the unseen as well. I'm not sure I'll get to the TV show, but if I do, I'm most interested in how the actors flesh out the written characters.

One of the best books of the 21st Century.

I'm so happy you liked it too. :)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1784 on: August 21, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
Critical Business Skills for Success I started this back in March, and its part of the "Great Courses" series. It is 60 1/2 hour lectures on business, finance and marketing. I thought it was all well done and valuable information. Worth the time and I feel like I have a solid foundation of business after completing it.
4/5
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1785 on: August 23, 2017, 11:39:03 PM »
All These Worlds: Bobiverse Book 3 - A good finish to the series, which I enjoyed. It felt a little rushed tying up all the plot threads, but I wouldn't have wanted them drawn out either.
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1786 on: August 25, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »

I liked parts of this but overall i found it to be pretty average. I had a hard time becoming invested in what was going on because it jumped around a lot and never cared about answering questions in the moment.

It has convinced me to give the show another go though.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1787 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
The show is better.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1788 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »
I liked parts of this but overall i found it to be pretty average. I had a hard time becoming invested in what was going on because it jumped around a lot and never cared about answering questions in the moment.

I had about the same experience. Still interested in the show though.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1789 on: August 25, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
The show is definitely better. They're actually expanding the story in interesting ways, and the wife character is way better on screen thanks in large part to Emily Browning. And I can't get enough of Ian McShane's Mr. Wednesday. Perfect casting.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”