Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 95077 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1780 on: August 25, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »

I liked parts of this but overall i found it to be pretty average. I had a hard time becoming invested in what was going on because it jumped around a lot and never cared about answering questions in the moment.

It has convinced me to give the show another go though.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1781 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
The show is better.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1782 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »
I liked parts of this but overall i found it to be pretty average. I had a hard time becoming invested in what was going on because it jumped around a lot and never cared about answering questions in the moment.

I had about the same experience. Still interested in the show though.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1783 on: August 25, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
The show is definitely better. They're actually expanding the story in interesting ways, and the wife character is way better on screen thanks in large part to Emily Browning. And I can't get enough of Ian McShane's Mr. Wednesday. Perfect casting.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1784 on: August 26, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Went on a camping trip and read three by Cesar Aira

An Episode... is one of my all-time favorite books. Transportive and magical with the wild energy of early Herzog adventures. I dream of him doing the film adaptation.

The Seamstress and the Wind, to keep the film references going, reads like a transcript of a Jodoworsky film. It's a great rollicking adventure through Patagonia. Only downside is the ending intentionally leaves things hanging for eternity.

The Literary Conference is another gem that takes unexpected turns into sci-fi and horror.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1785 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »

How quick the sun can drop away
And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything
    -- Black

As I'm weeding in the yard this morning, this song comes on and I realize I finally have the words I want to use to begin my review of Persuasion. I finished the book a few weeks ago, but didn't know how to choose from all the exceptional lines inside. How do I sort through the dialogue and inner thoughts to best express what this story is examining?

And here I am, with the sun beating down and the hoe heavy in my hands, listening to a man lament in my earphones; his lyrics penned 200 years later, but still as perfect and immediate to the novel as Austen's own words. She would have approved.

Anne, having the light go out of her life because of obligation and obedience, spends the next eight years sifting through the shards of what had happened and what might have been. To all around her she's no different, except more pale and quiet perhaps, but inside she's grieving all that has been lost. It colors every aspect of her life now, for the man she loved really was everything

And in this space, Austen explores the nature of sorrow and regret, as well as forgiveness of self. As Maya Angelou said, "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." Compassion for our shortcomings and for our youth go a long way in healing those deep wounds.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:06:02 PM by Sandy »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1786 on: September 08, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
Ah yes, the story of Moodyface and Captain Stiffpants. There's a book I don't want to read.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1787 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
Every Austen book I read always comes at just the right moment in my life and Persuasion hit at the moment when I perhaps had the most regret in my life over how I had been. And self-forgiveness is the way towards healing.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1788 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »
That or alcohol.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1789 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
Speaking of reading the right thing at just the right time: from Dinner by Cesar Aira

"The secret of success is intelligent effort, work accompanied by thought, self-criticism, a realistic assessment of the environment, and above all, demand. Not the paltry demand of profit but on the contrary, of youthful dreams that should never be abandoned. You have to know how to see beyond the interests of survival and make the decision to give something to the world, because only those who give, receive. And for that, you need imagination."