love

Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194185 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1810 on: January 23, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
I don't get it. Is that a literary reference? Why am I so dumb?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1811 on: January 23, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
Slow poke so Pokey.  Sorry. Lost in translation?
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1812 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
I think so...?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1813 on: January 23, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
Just bought this one on your rec. Thanks, Jeff.

Cool! I don't know if it's been optioned yet but it'll make a great adaptation if and when it is.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1814 on: January 23, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
I read a book a week. How is it you all make me feel like I am dragging along?

That's a lot for me. I'm making an effort to finish a couple books a month this year. Which would be a record. :)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1815 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:14 PM »
Do comics/graphic novels count?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1816 on: January 23, 2018, 09:53:18 PM »
Do comics/graphic novels count?

Ah.  I see you found the comics/graphic novels thread.  Well done.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1817 on: January 24, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
I usually read 2 or 3 books a day.

But they are ones I read to the kids :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1818 on: February 12, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
Y'all ready for this?

In the Sounds and Seas by Marnie Galloway (comics)

A beautiful, wordless journey about saying and doing, exploration and introspection, creation and destruction. gorgeous drawings highlight a unique tale that doesn't hide its influences. You can "read" it in half an hour or get lost in it for half a day. I recommend the latter.

5 stars

Paper Girls Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughn, Cliff Chiang, and Matthew Wilson (comics)

Everything about this is very fun, but the best part is the colors.

5 stars

Draft No. 4: On the Writing Process by John McPhee (non-fiction)

I got this book because many writers I admire suggested that it was both entertaining and useful to read. Entertaining certainly, even if much of the advice is on how to write, research, and stucture longform nonfiction and I lack any ambition in that direction at this point. There are numerous bits of solid writing advice scattered throughout, some that I'll use for myself and some that I'll adapt for teaching in the future. For this reader, however, the reason to read this short book comes from the feeling I got of spending time in the company of a person who has achieved much in his field and yet still has the inclination to chat with a person eager to learn. The best teachers all conjure this same sensation in their own way. Maybe I won't be a better writer for having read this. I think I'm a better person for it

5 Stars

Paper Girls Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughn, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson, and Jarek K. Fletcher (comics)

The "multiple versions of characters in a time travel story" thing has been done almost to death. Paper Girls shows that there's still a little life in the trope by giving each version some degree of pathos and making the relationship between them strong and unstable at the same time.

4 Stars

Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler (short stories)

The best stories in this collection are the longer ones ("Blood Child," "The Evening and the Morning and the Night," and "Amnesty") and detail how humans deal with new situations (symbiosis and disease, basically). Butler can craft one heck of a scary scene, and her characters always feel real enough to make those scenes all the more terrifying. But the last story, "The Book of Martha," is the one I'll probably come back to and hopefully teach sometime soon. In it, God gives a black woman writer complete power to change anything about the world that she can think of to get humans through our "adolescent phase" without destroying ourselves. Her solution is clever, but it's also just a pretty great prompt for students (or anybody, really) to write about. Fun!

4 Stars

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (fiction)

I read this one in a day, it's that good and compelling. Hamid's lengthy sentences pull you along with an ease and a grace that usually starts you in one place and leaves you with another. In that way, the students matches the substance as the second half of the book explores the implications of a multitude of doors that connect one place to another, seemingly at random. Hamid depicts how nations and cities, couples and individuals deal with this new paradigm positively and negatively, using Nadia and Saeed to ground a tale that skips across the globe. Perhaps most intriguing is how the national boundaries aren't the only ones being broken down. If globalization looks like this, difficult and unpredictable but rewarding, sign me up.

5 Stars

Paper Girls Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughn, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson, and Jarek K. Fletcher (comics)

I really enjoy the serialized nature of this series so far. with so much time jumping it could have been overly complicated, but each volume gets a good singular story in a few short pages while also giving some of that larger story its due. This prehistoric entry is good fun.

4 Stars

Moving Pictures by Kathryn Immonen and Stuart Immonen (comics)

Another comic about art, this one is a little too slight for my taste. A Canadian art student studying in Paris as Hitler takes it over also has an affair with a German officer while trying to smuggle art before it can be destroyed. There's an interrogation that frames the whole thing that's kind of cool for its expressionist lighting but outside a few other scenes I wasn't feeling the look of this one so much. When the character details are this lightly sketched, the drawings better be stunning. But they aren't, so this ends up being whatever.

3 Stars

The Sculptor by Scott McCloud (comics)

A book that I should have loved more because it's about all the stuff that I like reading about: art, death, family history. But for me there was too much of the protagonist being a huge idiot and not enough acknowledgement of just how dumb he was. He becomes not-an-idiot, eventually, but it's too little too late. That's part of the point, I guess, but the rest wasn't good enough to make me forget that I kept wanting to shake this guy awake before the 400th page.

4 Stars

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit (non-fiction)

Solnit's sometimes beautiful, sometimes pointed, always insightful essays about feminism in the first half of this decade still reads somewhat like a book written yesterday. My favorite essay (on uncertainty and walking and Virginia Woolf) is perhaps the least like the others, but even there she manages to expose some alternate ways of thinking about the work of feminism. As I write this, our White House is finding out that their particularly toxic brand of masculinity isn't quite as strong as they hoped it was. As Solnit points out, the work isn't over yet, but there is reason to believe that certain ideas cannot be put back into their boxes.

5 Stars

Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun (comics)

Adorable and surprisingly affecting in the end, Sun uses a doofy alien and cute animals to stand in for a bunch of different anxieties. With all of the simplistic dialogue I was afraid this would be putting forward too easy a worldview, but Sun manages to bring some profundity in the end by not shying away from the bleaker aspects of life. That this could work for an 8 year old almost as well as it did for this 30 year old reader is both impressive and delightful. It's a fast read, too, so revisits will be easy and hopefully rewarding.

4 Stars

The Fire This Time edited by Jesmyn Ward (non-fiction/poetry)

This collection of essays, letters, and poems about race in the mid-20-teens is an excellent read for those interested in reading varied perspectives. Themed around James Baldwin's brilliant "The Fire Next Time," many of the pieces here incorporate his words and extend the ideas he brought up half a century ago for the modern problems that these writers of color seek to identify and write against. Split into three sections on the legacy of racism, the current(ish) condition of racism, and a look to the future that might not be as racist, each of the poems and essays left a mark on me. It's not an optimistic book, really, but it is a necessary one.

5 Stars

Killing and Dying by Adrian Tomine (comics)

Adrian Tomine's Killing and Dying is a collection of short stories in comics form and it's among the best comics I've ever read. The titular story is about comics, actually, but the stand-up kind. It's also about a marriage, a father-daughter relationship, a death, ambition, identity creation, and aging. It's a little masterpiece. Every story here is, really. Tomine creates these perfect characters, admirable but flawed, and then gets to the point without ever sacrificing emotional resonance or beautiful drawings in the name of efficiency. Though you can read this book in about an hour, it is dense enough to return to several times. This is definitely one of the best comics I've ever read, and it's up there with the best books, too.

5 Stars

And that's the year to date.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1819 on: March 27, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »
The Stand - This one took me a long time to get through (hence why my last post in this thread was in August). It was a great read, but moving house and starting a new job interfered with reading time. The depth of the story and characters is superb. It's in the running for my favorite King that I've read to date, although I think Under the Dome still takes it.
5/5

Fire and Fury
What a mess. I don't know how much of this book is true or exaggerated, but it sounds about right. Especially after the recent turmoil in the White House.

3.5/5

Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World
I couldn't get into this one. It seems like it would be an interesting story, but the way it was told was very dry. It's not a long book, but I had to force myself to keep interest and finish it.

2/5

Iron Gold
The Red Rising trilogy has really grown on me, and every book so far has been very solid. This one takes an approach where it is told from 4 different characters perspectives, Game of Thrones style. It took me awhile to work into this style and the new characters, but eventually it clicked. Looking forward to the next one!
4/5

The Collapsing Empire
I haven't read any other Scalzi books, and I don't remember why I decided to pick this one up. This was another one which took me awhile to get into and really only understood where the book (and the series) was going towards the end. Good enough to look forward to the next book in the series.
3.5/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter