love

Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 194333 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1870 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:37 AM »
Aren't there a couple of murders in Oliver Twist?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1871 on: September 21, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
Just read the damn book.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1872 on: September 21, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1873 on: September 22, 2018, 06:55:48 AM »
Could someone summarise the style or the experience of reading Infinite Jest? I'd like to have an idea of it before taking the plunge into a 1,000 page book.

Well, your mileage (kilometerage) may vary. I think I managed 50 pages, which covered about 12 chapters and somehow only 6 paragraphs. I have utter contempt for the book.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1874 on: September 23, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
Could someone summarise the style or the experience of reading Infinite Jest? I'd like to have an idea of it before taking the plunge into a 1,000 page book.

Well, your mileage (kilometerage) may vary. I think I managed 50 pages, which covered about 12 chapters and somehow only 6 paragraphs. I have utter contempt for the book.

As a counterpoint--- It's a 1000 page book, and its tough to get into. There is a narrative, but I really didn't pick up on it until about half way through. If this book is going to work for you you have to enjoy the way DFW writes (which is my opinion is very well). Even without knowing the characters, or the plot you could pick a random page and read for hours and just be sucked into the writing. It is moving, profound, humorous and sometimes confusing. I think it has a reputation as a very difficult book, but while long-- it's not a slog or boring. There are insights that moved me and empathy for challenges of people that is conveyed among the best I have ever read.

It's a lot. It's a big freak'n book. But its worth it. Stick with it. Don't get frustrated about being confused at points, pieces will fall into place. Just enjoy each piece of writing as it comes.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1875 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:03 PM »
Six of Crows

A tremendously entertaining read filled with great characters, big twists, and incredibly cool moments that resonate because of the backstories and relationships Bardugo has meticulously setup. Couldn't ask for more in a fantasy adventure. Can't wait to read the follow-up.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1876 on: October 22, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »
Norse Mythology

I listened to Neil Gaiman read this on audiobook, and it was wonderful.  I love his prose at all times, but using it for familiar stories just highlights for me Gaiman's gift.  The freedoms he makes with familiar stories are delightful.  Thor is just that little bit more dumb, Loki that little bit more sly, Freida that little bit more angry.  I loved hearing his voice throughout it all, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it just as much reading the text.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1877 on: December 07, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
Norse Mythology

I listened to Neil Gaiman read this on audiobook, and it was wonderful.  I love his prose at all times, but using it for familiar stories just highlights for me Gaiman's gift.  The freedoms he makes with familiar stories are delightful.  Thor is just that little bit more dumb, Loki that little bit more sly, Freida that little bit more angry.  I loved hearing his voice throughout it all, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it just as much reading the text.

4/5

Really enjoyed Gaiman's reading of it. Great audiobook.

Dune
It was a good book, but I didn't really connect with the characters that much. There was a lot of fast-forwarding and hand-waving that was a barrier for me. Well written and a cool concept though.
3/5

A book about the best anthropological evidence of the America's before colonization and how much we get wrong when we learn about it in school. It's a fascinating read, and convincing in its arguments. There was a far vaster and more advanced civilization here than I realized.
4/5

Harry Potter: A History of Magic
A nice companion piece to the Potter books exploring myths and legends the book utilizes in its own mythology. Some really interesting tidbits here. One thing that was a bit annoying is they don't have any insight from Rowling herself. I mean the book and the museum is put out by her company, but they treat the subject as if Rowling was an author from a century ago. Stuff like "well we know from studying her initial draft that the notes in the margin suggest she was thinking about...". Uh, why not just ask her?
3/5

Leadership: In Turbulent Times
Really enjoyed this, which takes a look at 4 presidents: Lincoln, both Roosevelts, and LBJ, and explores there early life, there rise, their struggles and how they lead. I learned a lot about them and found new respect for them as presidents.
4/5

21 Lessons for the 21st Century
I enjoyed Sapiens quite a bit, but didn't read Homo Deus, so I didn't have really strong opinions on  Yuval Noah Harari either way. But I came out of reading this really enjoying his thought process. He brings up a lot of interesting things to think about on how we as a people operate and where we may end up.
4/5

A Tale of Two Cities
I struggled with this one for awhile before it all came together for me. A great classic. The French Revolution isn't a period I have read much about and seeing it as the backdrop for this story certainly paints a picture. Very emotionally rich story telling.
4/5
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1878 on: December 08, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »

Dune
It was a good book, but I didn't really connect with the characters that much. There was a lot of fast-forwarding and hand-waving that was a barrier for me. Well written and a cool concept though.
3/5

It helps if you've read the first three sequels and have read this volume ten times.  It all comes together.

A book about the best anthropological evidence of the America's before colonization and how much we get wrong when we learn about it in school. It's a fascinating read, and convincing in its arguments. There was a far vaster and more advanced civilization here than I realized.
4/5

I keep promising myself that I will read this.  I think I'll put it on my audiobook list.

A Tale of Two Cities
I struggled with this one for awhile before it all came together for me. A great classic. The French Revolution isn't a period I have read much about and seeing it as the backdrop for this story certainly paints a picture. Very emotionally rich story telling.
4/5
[/quote]

Dickens is my black hole.  I've only read two.  But the words all fold on each other unless I concentrate.  Can't I just watch the movie?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1879 on: January 26, 2019, 03:04:19 AM »
Rereading Hemingway and OMG, what a writer!  Guess it took me this long to appreciate the tough prose and style, but yes, now he's my favorite by far.
Texan Down Under