Author Topic: Rate the last book you read.  (Read 88316 times)

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Rate the last book you read.
« Reply #1880 on: May 28, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
See above ;)

Apparently my time away from books has deteriorated my reading comprehension skills. Thanks!

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1881 on: May 29, 2019, 04:59:22 PM »
The Patternist Series by Octavia Butler
Octavia Butler is one of my favorite authors of all.  Her books seems straightforward, but when I read another in comparison, I realize how lyrical her writing is, how glorious her prose.  Her plots are easy to understand, but hard to accept.  They are full of people strategizing against each other, forcing themselves upon the world and society, often at the cost of other's freedom.  But it is all worth it, and she wraps things up brilliantly.  Below are the four volumes of the Patternist Series, in which she takes two stories and blends them into the same world by the end.

Wild Seed
This is the secret history of the world in which the next Adam, brutal and destructive, quietly battles the new Eve, learning the ways of Adam, battle through mind-powers and their children.

Mind of My Mind
The new Adam and Eve create the next rulers of the world at the end of humanity.  And these children become greater than they could ever understand.

Clay's Ark
The corruption of humanity from a space-borne disease causes the animal mind to control, but a new breeding stock is born.

Patternmaster
The two new forms of humanity, one borne from power, one born from disease live together in violence and one is destined to control the pattern of society.

I almost think that she could have finalized the society with one more book, but we'll never know now.

4.5/5, perhaps Clay's Ark is a step behind the others.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1882 on: May 29, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
This series sounds fascinating. I've heard the author's name before but now she's on my radar.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1883 on: June 08, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
Just finished Wolf In White Van, officially getting me through my backlog of books and plays. It was fantastic, perhaps the best of the recent things I've read aside from possibly The Wolves.

Now I don't know what to read next. Feel like I should seek out more plays, then do another novel, but I'm not sure which of either I want to tackle  :-\

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1884 on: July 02, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
Storm of Locusts (Roanhorse)

The follow-up to Roanhorse's excellent Trail of Lightning has the same strengths and weaknesses. Great characters, fast-paced, and action-packed, but builds to an ending that doesn't feel like it's quite been properly set up. Still these are very fun reads. Would love to see this as a TV series some day.

The Overstory (Powers)

This was a phenomenal read and Powers succeeds at making trees and forests feel as vital to the story as they are to the planet. In fact, the human characters serve the trees' stories, most of them aren't even that interesting, and that was fine with me. The one human character I did really love was the dendrologist, Patricia Westerford, who has an underdog/unappreciated genius story that really works.

The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss)

Rothfuss creates an incredibly compelling voice for his central character, Kvothe, who is telling his long origin tale to a curious scribe. With that voice, Rothfuss spins a fantasy world that really lives and breathes, and completely pulled me in. Looking forward to the rest of the King Killer Chronicles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:53:17 PM by philip918 »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1885 on: July 03, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss)

Rothfuss creates an incredibly compelling voice for his central character, Kvothe, who is telling his long origin tale to a curious scribe. With that voice, Rothfuss spins a fantasy world that really lives and breathes, and completely pulled me in. Looking forward to the rest of the King Killer Chronicles.
Book 3 has been a long time coming. Glad you started reading it, though.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1886 on: July 13, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Underland (MacFarlane)

A great non-fiction companion piece to Powers's The Overstory. MacFarlane goes to the deep dark places of the world and weaves myth, legend, history, and geology into his deep time exploration. MacFarlane does an excellent job structuring the book and builds to a payoff that is well-earned and striking. Highly recommended if you have any interest in the natural world.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1887 on: August 12, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
Just started this:

I'm a Vonnegut completist, so I have to. But usually unpublished work is unpublished for a reason. I've read one story so far, and while it wasn't bad or anything, it was really predictable. Not expecting much greatness in this book, but it should be a quick read (as long as I set aside some reading time).

Should have been a quick read, but I put it down for a long time and only recently worked my way through it (I skipped the unfinished story at the end, because come on). Pretty lame stories, I must say. The best part was the non-fiction essay. I think I just have very little interest in reading fiction these days. Funny how that happens.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1888 on: August 13, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
The Patternist Series by Octavia Butler
Octavia Butler is one of my favorite authors of all.

Coming soon to Amazon with Viola Davis producing and Nnedi Okorafor writing. Seems like a perfect team for the project.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/wild-seed-drama-series-based-on-sci-fi-book-in-works-at-amazon-from-viola-davis-julius-tennons-juvee-productions-1202583070/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1889 on: August 27, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
The Fifth Season (Jemisin)

Even on its own this stands as an all-time great work of fantasy literature. Great characters with unique abilities set in a powerful and fully-realized world. Jemisin's writing is beautiful and the story is told just incredibly well - it packs punch after punch, and those punches land with terrific force because they have been set up so well on every level - character, plot, history, mythology, etc. Will definitely be reading the rest of the trilogy right away.