love

Author Topic: Pulitzer Prize Marathon Part 1 - The Early Years  (Read 9085 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Pulitzer Prize Marathon Part 1 - The Early Years
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
Just out of curiosity, if I retooled this a bit and actually kept on top of it this time, would there still be interest?

EDIT: Hey, this post started a new page. That's convenient.  :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
I already bought the plays, so I'd love to have new motivation to read them.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »
As usual, I can't participate due to my laziness. But I would love to. I love reading plays, but J will absolutely kick my ass if set down one more book after reading only half of it.

I don't know how it reads, but I LOVED seeing Three Tall Women by Albee. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

BTW, pixote, I bought At Swim the other day because it beautiful, reading-in-the-park weather and I didn't have The Butcher Boy with me. I think reading the book club notes will help me get through it. It's not an easy read, but, so far, your enthusiasm for it has encouraged me to just enjoy the characters without worrying too much about not understanding every other sentence.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:49:47 PM by alexarch »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »
I already bought the plays, so I'd love to have new motivation to read them.

pixote

Okay, that's very cool. I think I'm going to try and do my Our Town post after I do my verdict for the bracket, I also want to start a blog entry for tonight, but I have time so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Taking a cue from edgar, I think two week discussions work and since plays aren't really long starting the Our Town one now will give people a chance to read it and discuss. Either way, it's not like boards close so discussion is always open no matter how quickly one gets through the plays.

Also, I was hoping to add in two more plays. I really would like to discuss The Skin of Our Teeth from Thornton Wilder and maybe A Long Day's Journey Into Night by O'Neill, plus I want to read Virgina Wolff, but that may not get made official until later. Either way, the original play selection will remain in tact, but just wondering how anyone feels about adding in at least one of these other plays.

As usual, I can't participate due to my laziness. But I would love to. I love reading plays, but J will absolutely kick my ass if set down one more book after reading only half of it.

I don't know how it reads, but I LOVED seeing Three Tall Women by Albee. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

BTW, pixote, I bought At Swim the other day because it beautiful, reading-in-the-park weather and I didn't have The Butcher Boy with me. I think reading the book club notes will help me get through it. It's not an easy read, but, so far, your enthusiasm for it has encouraged me to just enjoy the characters without worrying too much about not understanding every other sentence.

That's okay alex, just follow along in the discussion  :)

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
I'm still interested as well and will try my best to keep up this time :-\. I like the additions. I have a roof deck and it's summer. It'll be awesome :).

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
Cool, so we can alternate Wilder and Williams. That is to say that we'll do Our Town, then Streetcar, followed by Skin of Our Teeth, and then the last Williams will be Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

That's quite a slate of plays, at least three of those are some of the best I've ever read.

EDIT: Actually, one is likely the best I've ever read.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
I'm probably going to sit out the additions.  Hard enough keeping up with things already.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »
Okay that's fine, they'll just be additional ones.