Author Topic: Review your Halloween Movie  (Read 1188 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Review your Halloween Movie
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »
I know many of you don't watch a lot of horror, but like Turkey on Thanksgiving part of your Halloween tradition probably includes a Halloween film or 2.  Maybe it's something you watch every year, like "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

Maybe you check out the newest Saw film, or rent a classic.

I watched 3 films this year:
The Strangers (Blu-Ray) - Real simple, thin story but very effective.  Camera technique and sound design were both set at maximum nerve-jangling.  It's slow-paced, but packed all the tension I didn't find in High Tension and Them.

The Incredible Hulk (aka. "My wife's pick") - Only a horror film because it has creatures in it.  Really a bucket of Summer Popcorn all the way.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed it's B-Movie thrills.

Five Across The Eyes - Mostly unknown, but an upsetting clinic in terror.  Again, a real simple tale - 5 girls driving home get lost and are terrorized by a sadistic woman - but it mostly works because of its limitations.  It's super low budget, shot in low-quality video that gives events a real tangible immediacy.  Events unfold rapidly and they don't really let up until the end.  It's the headlong rush of terror that keeps this one going and the climax has more to say about revenge than I think the filmmakers intended.  It's a real discovery, far from great (a lot of screaming girls, which is very believable but also annoying) but one of the best "post Blair Witch" type films.  Definitely recommended to fans of the genre, only slightly recommended to the rest of you.

So what did you see this Halloween?
Was it a good film?
Was it at least a good Halloween Party film?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:59:21 PM by 1StrongOpinion »

Barry

Re: Review your Halloween Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:45 PM »
Went and saw "Max Payne" last night. I thought the dark angles would be a nice Halloween bit. Turned out to be about a C+ movie. The acting was a little wooden and the editing seemed kind of abrupt. Visually it was nice though (The trailer kicked ass.) and it held my attention pretty well. Worth checking out if you're a fan.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Review your Halloween Movie
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
I watched the 1958 version of The Blob on TV with some friends.

I remember being absolutely terrified by The Blob when I was about 6, but it turns out I had seen the 1988 version. I can only hope that version isn't as cheesy and boring, because I would have been ashamed if even my six-year old self was scared by this one. ;)

We managed to have a good time in a so bad it's good kinda way though.