love

Author Topic: Horror Films and The Bleak Ending  (Read 3972 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Horror Films and The Bleak Ending
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »
You probably might want to avoid a french horror film called Inside (À l'intérieur). I just watched this, & even though I enjoyed about 3/4 of it, this film seem to really abuse a lead character in a manner that had me walking away feeling bad about it's ending.

Yeah, the French have gotten a little carried away with this extreme horror trend.
Combine this with the fact that all of their women are unshaven, & it's becomes pretty easy to see that they're all just a buncha sick f#cks.
Even the ones in Quebec.

Someone's asking for you Edgar.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
You probably might want to avoid a french horror film called Inside (À l'intérieur). I just watched this, & even though I enjoyed about 3/4 of it, this film seem to really abuse a lead character in a manner that had me walking away feeling bad about it's ending.

Yeah, the French have gotten a little carried away with this extreme horror trend.
Combine this with the fact that all of their women are unshaven, & it's becomes pretty easy to see that they're all just a buncha sick f#cks.
Even the ones in Quebec.

I'll have you know that only about 7% of Québéc women have shaved heads. And I am ready to protect even them. Even them.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
I remember back when I was 12 or 13 becoming very passionate about Stephen King's work because he wasn't afraid of having a bleak ending. It seemed exciting and dangerous in the same way that Metallica is.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »
I didn't pay good money to feel bad.

I've seen Inside and Frontier(s).  They come from that little pocket of incredibly bloody French horror films like High Tension.  With all of them, I found the desire to show as much blood as possible made their films more over the top melodrama to the point of fantasy, and I was never engaged on a realistic level.

I also didn't feel for the characters in Them (Ils) who go through an ordeal similar to the one in The Strangers, only without the dwelled-upon sadism.  With that one I felt the director and the sound department manipulating the action more than the characters.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
The two best Horror movies to come out last decade 28 Days Later and Descent both had to alter their bleak endings for the American market.  [REC] and its inferior remake stuck with the original bleak ending.  As early as the 70's Romero struggled with this, Night of the Living Dead had a shockingly bleak ending, but Dawn's ending was changed in the last moment from everyone committing suicide, to a more ambiguous escape into sunset. 

I think a bleak ending is OK as long as it is earned, you earn it with good characterization and acting, so when the heroes are defeated, you see it as tragedy as opposed to more gore. 

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »
The two best Horror movies to come out last decade 28 Days Later and Descent both had to alter their bleak endings for the American market.  [REC] and its inferior remake stuck with the original bleak ending.  As early as the 70's Romero struggled with this, Night of the Living Dead had a shockingly bleak ending, but Dawn's ending was changed in the last moment from everyone committing suicide, to a more ambiguous escape into sunset. 

I think a bleak ending is OK as long as it is earned, you earn it with good characterization and acting, so when the heroes are defeated, you see it as tragedy as opposed to more gore. 

Good point. The ending of the original Night of the Living Dead is more powerful because it is so bleak.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »

Good point. The ending of the original Night of the Living Dead is more powerful because it is so bleak.

I would say that this ending is one of the best in cinema history. At least of what I have seen.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
The two best Horror movies to come out last decade 28 Days Later and Descent both had to alter their bleak endings for the American market. 

In the case of 28 Days Later I don't think it was because of the American market but because a bleak ending would have been a complete betrayal of the narrative.

love