love

Author Topic: Slumdog Millionaire  (Read 37257 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Slumdog Millionaire
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
I was able to forgive Slumdog's schmalziness and predictability, mostly because I saw it as a modern day fairytale. I'm not going to criticize Cinderella for being schmalzy, so I'm definitely not going to criticize this. It's supposed to be that way, it's a feel good film, and I loved every bit of it.

Exactly. That's why it's the best film of the year. It knows what it is and what it's supposed to do and it does it all perfectly.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
loved the subtitles flitting about all over the screen
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
Except it's a Boyle film, so I'll set my watch so I can leave the theater with fifteen minutes left and make up my own ending.

man i hope you did that.  the last (well more than 15 minutes) were pretty hard to watch.

the end really made this film a lot less enjoyable.  much like every other boyle film.  the man has a problem.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »
Except it's a Boyle film, so I'll set my watch so I can leave the theater with fifteen minutes left and make up my own ending.

man i hope you did that.  the last (well more than 15 minutes) were pretty hard to watch.

the end really made this film a lot less enjoyable.  much like every other boyle film.  the man has a problem.

What? The ending was fantastic. Just superb.

As for his other endings? Yeah, the man is hit or miss. But I've actually grown to love the last act of Sunshine.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
no. i'm sorry.  the ending was so schmaltzy.  i was laughing at how unrealistic the dialogue was and how corny it sounded.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »

gotta agree, as much as i liked the film, i was hoping for Jamal not to get all the money and the Salim death in the tub of money was a bit much - yeah, we all get that the point is that fetishizing money is bad

i did, however, love the dance outro - brought the joy back
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »

gotta agree, as much as i liked the film, i was hoping for Jamal not to get all the money and the Salim death in the tub of money was a bit much - yeah, we all get that the point is that fetishizing money is bad

i did, however, love the dance outro - brought the joy back

its genre.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »
no. i'm sorry.  the ending was so schmaltzy.  i was laughing at how unrealistic the dialogue was and how corny it sounded.

Why does everyone hate on schmaltz?

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

Why does everyone hate on schmaltz?

is it not inherently a derogatory term?

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
I'm going to stick-up for my man Danny Boyle. Is the ending of 28 Days Later different from the rest of the movie? Yes, definitely. Same with Sunshine? Absolutely. Is the ending to Slumdog Millionaire really sentimental and predictable? You betcha. But I think the endings of all three movies work. Just because things get different (or in the case of Slumdog, "cutesy") doesn't mean they are bad if they are executed well, and I think the endings of all three of these movies are executed almost perfectly.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

love