love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors  (Read 27050 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:04:57 AM »
I will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the Director Death Matches we are doing in the polls.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:37:33 AM »
Okay. I think I've figured out how to do the points system. I'll post the explanation in the original post.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 07:41:51 AM »
So have we to send you a list of films or directors? I'm confused.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »
So have we to send you a list of films or directors? I'm confused.

Directors. I just wrote films in a couple places by accident. I was very tired.

Does the graduated points system make sense to everyone?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »
fun!  (again :) - or still :) )

pix, that link was dead  ???

will there be a second round?  for the Top 100 films there was talk of having the first round be a fleshing out/ gut check kinda thing, but that didn't pan out.  i think there are pros and cons for both one and two round endeavors, not taking into account all the extra work two rounds creates.  just wondering

my early thoughts are all obvious

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »
Maybe i'm slow, eh, but what difference does it make to have the weighting at 11-30, instead of 1-20?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:48:24 AM »
Maybe i'm slow, eh, but what difference does it make to have the weighting at 11-30, instead of 1-20?

Update: So here is how the mathematics is going to work. A director ranked #20 will receive 11 points, and #19 will get 12 points, and #18 will get 13 points, and so on until #1 which gets 30 points. This way a director ranked low on lists still gets points, and directors that get ranked highly gets more points. This way a director that isn't high on many lists, but on a few is ranked #1 or close to it won't steal the show. It effectively makes the points system a graduated one where a #1 ranked director has about 2.7 times more influence than a #20 ranked director. The influence grows steadily less and less the lower the rank. And while 2.7 times the influence doesn't seem like much, it adds up. It also means that if a director appears on only one list but is at #1 that ranking is influential, but a director appearing on three lists at #20 will outrank the sole #1 ranking. If I'm right this will be the list most accurately representing the voice of the Filmspotters. If you have any concerns or feel the margin of influence should be greater than 2.7 than please let me know.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
A second round would be a huge amount of work and I'm not sure what would be gained from it. Also, it would mean using polls, which would actually dilute the graduation of the points scale I've devised. Not only that, but it eliminates the influence of higher rated directors because in a poll on the for it's not possible to have rankings, only multiple choices.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
A second round would be a huge amount of work and I'm not sure what would be gained from it. Also, it would mean using polls, which would actually dilute the graduation of the points scale I've devised. Not only that, but it eliminates the influence of higher rated directors because in a poll on the for it's not possible to have rankings, only multiple choices.

it would be more work but it wouldn't mean using polls.  think of what the list is supposed to represent - does it represent the top 20 of a few people, or the top films of filmspotters in general?  i do think the 11-30 scale addresses this problem a bit. 

i'll take my ballot as example.  of my top 20 films, i think 2 made it into the top 100, so my film tastes are arguable taken into little account for the filmspotter top 100.  however, had we gone through a second round, i, and other outliers, would have taken into account our favorite of the top 150 or so and adjusted our "top 20" accordingly so that our relative tastes would be represented.  i think most of the films would be the same, perhaps shuffle 20ish in and out, as well as some re-ordering, but having the second round better represents an overall sense of the film tastes on the boards. 

if a second round appeals, but the workload doesn't, i'd be happy to help out in any capacity you see fit :)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »

it would be more work but it wouldn't mean using polls.  think of what the list is supposed to represent - does it represent the top 20 of a few people, or the top films of filmspotters in general?  i do think the 11-30 scale addresses this problem a bit. 

i'll take my ballot as example.  of my top 20 films, i think 2 made it into the top 100, so my film tastes are arguable taken into little account for the filmspotter top 100.  however, had we gone through a second round, i, and other outliers, would have taken into account our favorite of the top 150 or so and adjusted our "top 20" accordingly so that our relative tastes would be represented.  i think most of the films would be the same, perhaps shuffle 20ish in and out, as well as some re-ordering, but having the second round better represents an overall sense of the film tastes on the boards. 

if a second round appeals, but the workload doesn't, i'd be happy to help out in any capacity you see fit :)

So what I'm getting, the idea of a second round is to have me compile the top 150 and then tell everyone to re-submit their top 20s but this time only including films that made it to the 150?