Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists  (Read 71129 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2008, 07:49:57 PM »
I actually brought this up in chat... but figured it might make a nice sidebar for this conversation.  Were there any directors, who if they had a larger body of work, would've been considered for your list?

A big one for me would be Yoshifumi Kondo.  Whisper of the Heart is just brilliant, and if he had another 2 or 3 films, at least, on a similar level, he would've made my list somewhere.

Andrew Stanton, I so wanted to include him, but with his body of work still so small I just couldn't do it.

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
I do also hold Bird a bit higher than Lasseter looking purely at their directing careers. I don't consider A Bug's Life and Cars to be up there with Toy Story 1 & 2, but all three of Bird's are masterpieces.

Regarding Miyazaki, he stands out for me because his films are entirely unique. There's nobody else like him, and he's extremely consistent in churning out amazing movies. At least 5 of his movies are in masterpiece territory for me. Nobody else comes close to that without having at least a couple of stinkers.

Also, he's amazing.

five masterpieces and no stinkers?  really?  I mean, there's a lot to respect in Spirited and Mononoke.  Nausicaä was a cool action-anime, and a lot of people seem to love Totoro.  But I thought Porco Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle were both well below his usual high standards, especially the later.  and I didn't get much out of Castle in the Sky either (the crappy James Van Der Beek dub probably didn't help).  

It's all a matter of opionion, but I'd argue that Kubrick came a lot closer to five masterpieces and no stinkers (2001, Strangelove, Shining, Clockwork, Barry Lyndon).
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2008, 08:00:25 PM »
Maybe it is through my extremely biased eyes, but I don't know how anyone can dislike Porco Rosso.  It was made from a different angle than most Miyazaki, but is a fun, beautiful, charming love story, and probably the funniest thing Miyazaki has done.

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »
Maybe it is through my extremely biased eyes, but I don't know how anyone can dislike Porco Rosso.  It was made from a different angle than most Miyazaki, but is a fun, beautiful, charming love story, and probably the funniest thing Miyazaki has done.

honestly, I don't remember a whole lot about it except that I was indiferent to it, and certianly didn't love it.  Frankly, I think Miyazaki's sense of humor is his achilese heel, everytime he tries to add comic relief his movies tend to lose me.
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
At this stage it looks like I'm gonna include more than a few who I've only seen one or two films from... I think that if talent is there, it's hard to be denied.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
I actually brought this up in chat... but figured it might make a nice sidebar for this conversation.  Were there any directors, who if they had a larger body of work, would've been considered for your list?

A lot of them actually, I think my list is a bit biased towards dead people.  P.T. Anderson, Curon, Inaritu, Malick, Ang Lee, Miereles were all directors that might make my list someday if the managed to keep their pace up for another ten years.

Malick's going to need more than ten years to make another movie.  Ang Lee has directed 8 films (granted some of them aren't so great), so he certainly has a large enough body to consider.  I'd say the same for PTA.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »

A lot of them actually, I think my list is a bit biased towards dead people.  P.T. Anderson, Curon, Inaritu, Malick, Ang Lee, Miereles were all directors that might make my list someday if the managed to keep their pace up for another ten years.

Malick's going to need more than ten years to make another movie.  Ang Lee has directed 8 films (granted some of them aren't so great), so he certainly has a large enough body to consider.  I'd say the same for PTA.

Stanton.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »

A big one for me would be Yoshifumi Kondo.  Whisper of the Heart is just brilliant, and if he had another 2 or 3 films, at least, on a similar level, he would've made my list somewhere.

Andrew Stanton, I so wanted to include him, but with his body of work still so small I just couldn't do it.
He only has one less film than Malick and Malick is on several people's lists.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »

Stanton only has two film. I don't count his Co-Director credits.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »

Stanton only has two film. I don't count his Co-Director credits.
A Bug's Life is definitely more Stanton than Lasseter seeing as Stanton both Co-Directed and wrote the screenplay. And it lacks Lasseter's smack of nostalgia which infects Toy Story and Cars