love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists  (Read 71452 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
And it just hit me.  I completely forgot about Chan-wook Park.

Possibly would've been a top 10 pick.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
Because Fincher is a carbon copy of Spielberg

Except minus the sentimentalism and plus more needless/gratuitous special effects. If there is anything great about Spielberg its that he uses CG only when needed (Indy 4 not counted) and nearly always makes sure they do not call attention to themselves (again, Indy 4 not counted.)

i was being sarcastic.

How is the director of fight club and seven even compare to the director of jaws and raiders fo the lost ark? Please tell me, i just can't see why.

also, wasn't war of the worlds very effects heavy, or did they actually create loads of giant walking tripods and put veins all over the earth?

Fincher has been compared to Spielberg because he is like the modern extension. Working with amazing visual effects to create intense and well-crafted stories. Like Fincher and his friends are taking the mantle from Spielberg. Obviously their films and styles are completely different.

And regarding the effects. Even in War of the Worlds the effects were out of necessity and most of the effects are incredibly well integrated to the point where until you just mentioned it I hadn't even considered that the veins might be computer animated.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
I have to admit, I completely overlooked Lasseter. He is totally deserving though, glad to see him show up on a few lists.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
I have to admit, I completely overlooked Lasseter. He is totally deserving though, glad to see him show up on a few lists.

The sad thing is I probably would have overlooked him to if not for getting into a debate with someone at another board over whether or not it was ok that a Pixar documentary treated Lasseter like some sort of animation god. My response was that based on all his accomplishments, his innovations, the iconic characters he created and how every movie or short she's helmed has been good or great he certainly does qualify as an animation god. Sadly, if not for that argument I never would have thought about him, and now that I think about it more I believe I may have made a mistake with putting him below Bird.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »

The sad thing is I probably would have overlooked him to if not for getting into a debate with someone at another board over whether or not it was ok that a Pixar documentary treated Lasseter like some sort of animation god. My response was that based on all his accomplishments, his innovations, the iconic characters he created and how every movie or short she's helmed has been good or great he certainly does qualify as an animation god. Sadly, if not for that argument I never would have thought about him, and now that I think about it more I believe I may have made a mistake with putting him below Bird.

I still say he should be below Bird simply because I think Bird has proven himself a better director. Lasseter has accomplished much more in the field of animation, but if you look at his skills purely as a director I don't think they quite match Bird. And tell your friend that The Pixar Story treats Lasseter like a god, because he is a god. He's the god. God himself. The Second Coming. (of Walt Disney)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
I was thinking about Toy Story and Toy Story 2 and based on those movies alone I don't know if I can say that Bird is the better director. The way that Lasseter decides position his characters in those movies and the shots he frames up are simply incredible. I think I was still taking Lasseter for granted when I put him at around 13 on the list. It's not a big deal really, because Bird is no slouch either and as long as Lasseter is represented then I'm cool.

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »

Except minus the sentimentalism and plus more needless/gratuitous special effects. If there is anything great about Spielberg its that he uses CG only when needed (Indy 4 not counted) and nearly always makes sure they do not call attention to themselves (again, Indy 4 not counted.)

i was being sarcastic.

How is the director of fight club and seven even compare to the director of jaws and raiders fo the lost ark? Please tell me, i just can't see why.

also, wasn't war of the worlds very effects heavy, or did they actually create loads of giant walking tripods and put veins all over the earth?

Fincher has been compared to Spielberg because he is like the modern extension. Working with amazing visual effects to create intense and well-crafted stories. Like Fincher and his friends are taking the mantle from Spielberg. Obviously their films and styles are completely different.

And regarding the effects. Even in War of the Worlds the effects were out of necessity and most of the effects are incredibly well integrated to the point where until you just mentioned it I hadn't even considered that the veins might be computer animated.

Honostly, I can't see it.  Yeah, Fincher has special effects in his movies, but who doesn't these days?  Looking at the larger themes in their work they're pretty different, I can't say I can really picture Spielberg ending a movie with a head in a box.  If I was picking a successor to Spilberg I'd probably name Peter Jackson (special effects driven blockbusters loved by critics and audiences alike), Guillermo del Toro (fairy tales for adults with a lot of effects), or maybe Frank Darabont.

Also, I've got to say I'm pretty shocked that so many people are putting Hayao Miyazaki at the very top of their lists.  I've got nothing against the guy... but that seems to be a bit much.  Anyone want to explain the extreme apeal.

Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

i was being sarcastic.

Honostly, I can't see it.  Yeah, Fincher has special effects in his movies, but who doesn't these days?  Looking at the larger themes in their work they're pretty different, I can't say I can really picture Spielberg ending a movie with a head in a box.  If I was picking a successor to Spilberg I'd probably name Peter Jackson (special effects driven blockbusters loved by critics and audiences alike), Guillermo del Toro (fairy tales for adults with a lot of effects), or maybe Frank Darabont.

Also, I've got to say I'm pretty shocked that so many people are putting Hayao Miyazaki at the very top of their lists.  I've got nothing against the guy... but that seems to be a bit much.  Anyone want to explain the extreme apeal.

All those guys you mentioned are heirs to the throne of Spielberg. And Miyazaki is amazing.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
I'm not really a director fangirl, but here's my attempt at a list. The top 10 are the ones I really admire and love to watch.

1. Paul Thomas Anderson
2. The Coen Brothers
3. Woody Allen
4. Alfred Hitchcock
5. Pedro Almodovar
6. Orson Welles
7. Michel Gondry
8. David Fincher
9. Wes Craven
10. Alfonso Cuaron
11. Wong Kar-Wai
12. Stephen Spielberg
13. Judd Apatow
14. Michael Moore
15. Stanley Kubrick
16. Sofia Coppola
17. Edgar Wright
18. Alejandro González Iñárritu
19. Rob Reiner
20. Milos Forman

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought of Inarritu. Thank you so much for putting him on.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
I got a whole bunch more lists sent to me today, including one from Adam.  Thanks everyone, and everyone who hasn't sent in a list, please do.