Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists  (Read 71344 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2008, 06:07:22 PM »
My roommates practically watched Princess Mononoke on a loop last year, and I just don't get it. I don't see the brilliance that everyone else does.

Did you see Spirited Away?

Nope. Maybe someone should dictate it to me in January.

Maybe I should just dictate it to you now.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
My roommates practically watched Princess Mononoke on a loop last year, and I just don't get it. I don't see the brilliance that everyone else does.

Nope. Maybe someone should dictate it to me in January.

Maybe I should just dictate it to you now.

Geez, look who's gotten all power hungry once a little bit of 'list responsibilities' are given to him.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »

Sometimes I find it pretty distracting to watch movies with people who already know and love the movie in question. It really messes with the magic that happens when you experience the movie in your own way.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

Sometimes I find it pretty distracting to watch movies with people who already know and love the movie in question. It really messes with the magic that happens when you experience the movie in your own way.

Hey don't worry. You can watch a Bond movie with me anytime.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
But Bond movies ain't no good.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
I got a whole bunch more lists sent to me today, including one from Adam.  Thanks everyone, and everyone who hasn't sent in a list, please do.

Is his list going to be made public? or is he going to be the one vote for Dennis Dugan?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »
Forget it Dracula. I'm with you on the 'Miyazaki is certainly good but what's with the crazy love?' bandwagon, but we won't get any other kind of reply other than 'He's amazing.'

Rumor has it that he really is though.

I find Miyazaki amazing because his movies look gorgeous, and they have such a distinct feel to them. It's hard to put into words, but the way he gives his movies such a grand scale while at the same time keeping them small is simply amazing, something I don't think any other director does on a regular basis. His eye for setting up characters and getting the best look, the best shot, or the more interesting take than what others would have done is second to none. Finally, he creates an entirely unique experience with his movies, mostly through the way he can combine both his visual style and his social commentary or the narrative of the movie until they are almost one and flow completely off of one another. Basically, he is amazing, but I hope that's more of the explanation you were looking for.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
I got a whole bunch more lists sent to me today, including one from Adam.  Thanks everyone, and everyone who hasn't sent in a list, please do.

Is his list going to be made public? or is he going to be the one vote for Dennis Dugan?

I'm not going to make his list public. If he wants to he's more than welcome.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »

While I love both Mononoke and Spirited Away, they're not even what I'd recommend to someone getting into Miyazaki, at least, not over My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind or Laputa.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »
While I love both Mononoke and Spirited Away, they're not even what I'd recommend to someone getting into Miyazaki, at least, not over My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind or Laputa.

Totoro and Spirited Away are my preferred "introductory Miyazaki" movies.

love