Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists  (Read 71127 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »
I actually brought this up in chat... but figured it might make a nice sidebar for this conversation.  Were there any directors, who if they had a larger body of work, would've been considered for your list?

A big one for me would be Yoshifumi Kondo.  Whisper of the Heart is just brilliant, and if he had another 2 or 3 films, at least, on a similar level, he would've made my list somewhere.

Andrew Stanton, I so wanted to include him, but with his body of work still so small I just couldn't do it.
He only has one less film than Malick and Malick is on several people's lists.

Stanton only has two film. I don't count his Co-Director credits.
A Bug's Life is definitely more Stanton than Lasseter seeing as Stanton both Co-Directed and wrote the screenplay. And it lacks Lasseter's smack of nostalgia which infects Toy Story and Cars

I disagree with that. But either way I don't find that Stanton's films have yet proved him, to me at least, to be the master of the art that Bird is, even though they've made about the same number of films.

There are elements of both Nemo and Wall-E that I find don't work as well as they should and it is because Stanton's skill as a director isn't quite there yet. Stanton should have either not had humans in Wall-E, or given them about 3-5 minutes longer to develop their characters fully enough so that we actually care what happens to them. He also could have added a few more scenes of Wall-E and EVE interacting at the beginning so as to better set up their love, particularly on EVE's side. These are choices that are indicative of his direction not being up to the standard of Bird.

Even the flaws in Ratatouille, which are few and far between, are more indicative of the trouble the project was in before Bird took the rains than anything. And Lasseter has proven himself very well, despite the flaws in Cars. The real proof of Lasseter's ability is the story of the Toy Story 2 production. Originally a direct to video movie that Disney decided to give a theatrical release. Lasseter saw that the film being made, not under his own supervision, was a complete mess and refused to release it and tarnish the good name of Pixar. He convinced Disney to let him restart the film from scratch and with only 9 months left before the scheduled released date he managed to rewrite the whole film and redo everything. The result? A masterpiece. Any director that can pull of something like that is worthy of admiration. Particularly because he did it purely out of a deep sense of integrity.

Stanton's films so far have been great, but I'm still waiting for him to give me the film that completely knocks me out of my seat the way Toy Story, The Iron Giant or The Incredibles have.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
Okay people. Now both Adam and Matty have submitted lists. And they're busy people! Well... I don't actually know about Matty, but Adam is busy people! You all have no excuses now. Please PM me your top 20s before Friday at Midnight. I will compile the list over the weekend, and depending on how accurate I feel the list is I will do the reveal on Monday night. Any requests for a specific time to do the reveal?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »
Okay people. Now both Adam and Matty have submitted lists. And they're busy people! Well... I don't actually know about Matty, but Adam is busy people! You all have no excuses now. Please PM me your top 20s before Friday at Midnight. I will compile the list over the weekend, and depending on how accurate I feel the list is I will do the reveal on Monday night. Any requests for a specific time to do the reveal?

Please tell me David S. Ward is on Matty's list.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

Please tell me David S. Ward is on Matty's list.

Damn, you beat me to it!  :'(

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
I will compile the list over the weekend, and depending on how accurate I feel the list is I will do the reveal on Monday night.

This line worries me - why not just reveal the list as it came to you, with no editorializing? Then let everyone vote on whether they want to do a second round of lists based on that.

The list is as 'accurate' as it was when you received it, because it represents the compiled yet diverse opinions of others. It doesn't necessarily need to be made more 'accurate'...
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
Because I don't want to do extra work if it's not necessary. None of the lsists so far seem to have been too accurate so if in my calculations it ends up being more accurate than in the past I'll just post it as is and if there is some kind of severe outcry then somebody else can take over responsibility for the second round. If I don't see it as being very accurate (which right now it really isn't) then on Monday night I'll post a 1-150 and I'll initiate a second round myself. And honestly at the moment there aren't even 150 directors submitted so a second round would really just be to correct rankngs.

Does that sound fair? I'm not trying to be an egotistical jerk here. It's just a lot of work and if I feel that I've made this list as accurate as I can then I don't want to be running a second round just for the hell of it. Another thing is that so many of you are calling for a second round, but I haven't yet hear a clear explaination of how to do one.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
I'm just baffled by how you're using the word 'accurate'.

What's an accurate survey to you?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »

For example, if a director only gets 5 votes out of 20 entries and somehow winds up on the top 10 then that is inaccurate.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

For example, if a director only gets 5 votes out of 20 entries and somehow winds up on the top 10 then that is inaccurate.

But if those 5 votes are all #1 votes, how would it be inaccurate based on the system that has been set up?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »

But if those 5 votes are all #1 votes, how would it be inaccurate based on the system that has been set up?

It's about discretion. I can say that at the moment the list seems accurate enough, except that because there are so few entries there are far too many directors tied. And if the number of directors doesn't go higher than 150 is there really a point in doing a second round?

love