Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists  (Read 71316 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Film Directors: Your Lists
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
And how about that Batman guy getting such high placement on the list? Insane.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »
Varda, Denis, Akerman, Coppola...

We did good, people. We did good.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #242 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
If like me, people voted based on their favorites, who are not necessarily the "best", it makes sense that folks like Coppola (Jr.), Gondry, and Nolan ranked higher than some of the masters.

For instance, on my list I had John Sayles higher than Kurosawa or Scorsese. Speaking objectively, do I think Sayles is a "better" filmmaker? Not at all. But I was voting with my heart so things are going to be skewed.   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #243 on: December 02, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
If like me, people voted based on their favorites, who are not necessarily the "best", it makes sense that folks like Coppola (Jr.), Gondry, and Nolan ranked higher than some of the masters.

For instance, on my list I had John Sayles higher than Kurosawa or Scorsese. Speaking objectively, do I think Sayles is a "better" filmmaker? Not at all. But I was voting with my heart so things are going to be skewed.   

Yep, couldn't agree more.  That's why someone like Bergman didn't make my list.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
Is there any interest in a round 2 based on just the top 100? Since so many people got at least 3/4 of their votes on the list, maybe it's not worth it. But maybe it would be fun, you know, just for jokes?

I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. I mean, I like that you guys like the same movies I like. Some of you, at least.

I didn't do the zombie movie after all. Those students couldn't have organized a piss-up in a brewery.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Is there any interest in a round 2 based on just the top 100? Since so many people got at least 3/4 of their votes on the list, maybe it's not worth it. But maybe it would be fun, you know, just for jokes?

I don't really think a round 2 is necessary, unless it was strictly something to break all the ties.  Like ranking the directors in each tied group? But even that probably isn't necessary.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:20 AM »
I mentioned this briefly in the chat last night, but I'll reiterate it here again. I suspect that a majority of filmspotters were tempted, by habit, taste or cinematic knowledge, to add more recent directors to their lists. Some of us do watch older movies, be them from the US or foreign, but a vast majority of message board members it seems to me are more familiar with directors such as Fincher, PTA and Nolan, just to name a few. That arguably explains why they earned such stunningly high positions in the list. If we all watched an equal amount of old/new and US based/foreign films, I very much doubt the top 100 list would look like the one we just created.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36:08 AM »
I think people are overthinking it. The list is done. It was fun. What's the next one? :)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
I think people are overthinking it. The list is done. It was fun. What's the next one? :)

Of course, isn't this always the case?

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2008, 11:44:03 AM »
There were brief discussions about actors, performances and characters. I left shortly after the countdown was over so I'm not sure if anything concrete came out of the talks.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/