Author Topic: November Book Club: Light in August  (Read 6426 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: November Book Club: Light in August
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:55:10 AM »
I'm gonna try to keep pushing thru, because I don't want to give up, but I've been reading this too long...

Same.  I feel really bad that I haven't finished it already.  New year's resolution #1: Finish Light in August.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
Ok. So last night I finally finished this, and, sorry pix, but, for the most part, this is a novel that I could have done without reading. I went through massive patches in the final pages where huge tracts of exposition took place where I rarely knew which character was being discussed (in chapter 20 specifically, due to everyone being either Grandfather, Father or Son, but people being called as much as all three).

That said, there were some interesting points, usually those involving Lena and Byron. They were my two favourite characters, and I really liked the way he ended their part of the story. Also, chapter 20, despite the flaws mentioned above, was interesting in the way it helped to shed light on both Hightower and the title of the novel.

I felt really lost at times in the story of Christmas, and the ending didn't help that in some way. Maybe it was to do with the way Lena was almost a framing device... That said, the end to his story I did find mildy... sad, shall we say? However, parts of it definitely weren't necessary, especially the grandparents, and the guy who wanted to be a soldier.

In terms of the writing itself? Well, it was passable, I suppose, but I had a lot more fun with it in the opening chapters. Later on I found it really heavy, and often confusing, as he would almost branch out from one point, but without enough names or focus to keep everything clear for the reader.

Anyway, I suppose that was the most of what I felt. For the most part I'm just glad it's over so I can start reading something else. Has anyone else finished, or got some thoughts? Or questions or something?

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
What's your status: Still reading? Should we move on to a new book? Thoughts?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
I am still reading, but that's only because I suck.  Other, less sucky people should move on to a new book.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
I finished the book. I'll try and post my thoughts on the book overall sometime this weekend although I think I agree with a lot of FifthCityMuse has already said. I'd like to move on to a new book though!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
Bumped for saltine.

pixote

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »
Thanks!

I too am struggling a bit in places.  However, the form of the novel is excellent in my view.  Introducing the characters "today" and going back to how they got to "today" really speaks to me.

I am also listening to an audiobook, The 30 Greatest Orchestral Works, and find switching between the two is pushing me along in the book.

I'll post my thoughts in this thread once I finish the reading, whenever that may be.
Texan Down Under

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
I think this will be a summer read for me, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
I'm weak in Faulkner knowledge, though I have been to Rowan Oak, weirdly.  I read the short stories in school and remember enjoying them, but nothing since, so ages ago.

Texan Down Under