love

Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 16262 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Twilight
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
The  books is not very well written either Edward has no range, he either laughs or broods, there is nothing inbetween.

This is annoyingly true of the movie as well.  And,yeah, the stalking thing is supposed to be romantic, I guess, but it just comes across as creepy.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
And,yeah, the stalking thing is supposed to be romantic, I guess, but it just comes across as creepy.

oh...

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »
Yeah, the movie taught me a valuable lesson there.

Hi, Basil!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2008, 02:26:39 AM »
I just finished the book. It only took me just over 24 hours to read. It's... well, considering I was expecting something pretty awful, it's not terrible.

But by no means does it deserve the legions of fans it has.

And sorry, but Edward Cullen is... not appealing in any way, shape or form.

People are certainly right about characters having no range. The plot is all too convenient, especially with the whole "father never being around" thing, and there is so much that goes unexplained, or when it is explained, something that was seemingly important turns out to be nothing special.

It does have a few good points. She gets Alice really, really right. The only character in the whole book that is really engaging, and actually seems to be more than just a caricature. The baseball scene has appeals, but could be written better. And there is a great sense of... Americana to the book, especially as a foreigner. I don't know if that comes across to American readers, but there is a great sense that this book is written by an American author who is familiar with American pop culture.

That said, Bella is a terrible character. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Maricha Pessl gained a lot of acclaim a year or two back, and Pessl manages to do what I think Meyer was trying to do, but sooo much better. If you want to present a character that is supposed to be well read, don't give us someone who has read "Bronte, Shakespeare, Chaucer and Faulkner". Go for someone interesting. If she had said she'd read "Nabokov, Rushdie, Cervantes and Faulkner", then I would be impressed. Blue Van Meer, from Pessl's book, had at least read the Nabokov, along with the other Russians, and probably a good chunk of the others as well. And for a character who supposedly loves reading, why is there only one scene in which that is what she actually does?

Also, if she has so much trouble fitting in, why does she make friends instantly? And surely the perceptions of beauty aren't that different in Forks and Pheonix? Why does she suddenly go from misfit in one city to Sooper Dooper Babe who everyone wants to date in another? And surely she'd be more attractive in the big city, not the small country town where academia would surely be shunned in favour of... well, the popular image?

The clumsy thing never makes sense. And surely she's not that brave, or stupid, or whatever we're supposed to believe she is for not being afraid of the vampire. And how... juvenile does she think we are? Are we really supposed to trust that a first relationship is going to be loving for ever and ever? It's an idea squarely aimed at tweenage girls.

Of course, that's the whole book. It's aimed at tweens. And honestly, if I had a thirteen-year-old girl on my hands who was a reluctant reader, I'd give her the book without a thought. Of course, I'd then follow it up with the good stuff, which this book is sadly, or scarily, short on. If they were already reading, I'd advise against it, and give them something aimed a little higher. And there is no way I would give it to any form of "manly" teenage boy.

Overall, I'd say that most of the members of the boards are reading at a level way above this (which I think we all realise, and for which I am quite thankful) and while it is an easy summer read, and a quick distraction, it really only works in it's favour that it only takes a few hours to read. If it took much longer, there is no way it would be worth it.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
People are certainly right about characters having no range. The plot is all too convenient, especially with the whole "father never being around" thing, and there is so much that goes unexplained, or when it is explained, something that was seemingly important turns out to be nothing special.

It does have a few good points. She gets Alice really, really right. The only character in the whole book that is really engaging, and actually seems to be more than just a caricature. The baseball scene has appeals, but could be written better. And there is a great sense of... Americana to the book, especially as a foreigner. I don't know if that comes across to American readers, but there is a great sense that this book is written by an American author who is familiar with American pop culture.

That said, Bella is a terrible character. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Maricha Pessl gained a lot of acclaim a year or two back, and Pessl manages to do what I think Meyer was trying to do, but sooo much better. If you want to present a character that is supposed to be well read, don't give us someone who has read "Bronte, Shakespeare, Chaucer and Faulkner". Go for someone interesting. If she had said she'd read "Nabokov, Rushdie, Cervantes and Faulkner", then I would be impressed. Blue Van Meer, from Pessl's book, had at least read the Nabokov, along with the other Russians, and probably a good chunk of the others as well. And for a character who supposedly loves reading, why is there only one scene in which that is what she actually does?

I agree with the Alice sentiment.  She is drawn very well and is so much fun to read.  But I disagree with your appraisal of Bella.  I don't think she is supposed to be well read, I think she's supposed to have read and enjoyed the books her High School required of her, much in the way many of it's readers will have.  I personally have little love for Bronte's Wuthering Heights, but I know so many girls that read it in High School and loved it.  I don't know, I like Bella, a lot, so maybe I'm blinded.  I agree though, that Meyer's could have made her better read and given her a more distinct literary flavor.  Keep reading, they're all quick reads, but the fourth book I think really is terrific.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
I did get the impression she was supposed to be well read. All the talk about the library and the book store, and the scene where she actually does try to read, and she picks up the Austen, with the implication that she's already read most of her books, several times. There really are all these character contradictions going on all the time, and it really does take away from it.

I may get to the others, but at the moment my reading schedule is pretty full. I only read this because I already had the copy and the friend I borrowed it from wants it back.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
Bleech - you have not made these books appealling in any way. I'll stick to the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.
Hey, nice marmot!

thatguy_sam

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
i thought the books were fairly decent (and im probably one of very few males who would admit that), with the exception of the last one, it was just a mess

and im sorry but the movie was utter crap!!
i dont know if it was bad casting or bad direction
one things for sure though, the development of the relationship was completely absent
all of a sudden they leap from hating eachother, to announcing their undying love for each other (no pun intended)
and there was clearly no chemistry between the actors
"How'd you like that one, tough guy? How fricking awesome was that, huh? " - Chev Chelios - Crank