Author Topic: Bolt (2008)  (Read 2026 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Bolt (2008)
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:02:46 AM »
I gave more in-depth thoughts about Bolt in the "last movie you watch" topic, but just reiterate, this was a really great movie. The voice acting was tremendous, and more than anything it was smart and funny for both children and adults alike. I think this is a great return to glory for Disney animation proper, and yet another feather in the cap of the animation wizard John Lassiter. With all his Pixar work and now his new Disney animated films he's producing for Disney proper he is really the Walt Disney of our generation, even if people don't realize it yet.

andyg

• My Site
Re: Bolt (2008)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »
Yes, I liked it too bit maybe not as much as Bill. Thought it ran out of steam in the last act but overall it was very funny and enjoyable. It had really great animation too.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
I gave more in-depth thoughts about Bolt in the "last movie you watch" topic, but just reiterate, this was a really great movie. The voice acting was tremendous, and more than anything it was smart and funny for both children and adults alike. I think this is a great return to glory for Disney animation proper, and yet another feather in the cap of the animation wizard John Lassiter. With all his Pixar work and now his new Disney animated films he's producing for Disney proper he is really the Walt Disney of our generation, even if people don't realize it yet.

I think I've said it before on these boards that Lasseter is Disney reborn.

I haven't seen Bolt yet, but I'm excited to. What strikes me as amazing is that Lasseter wasn't afraid to go in there and replace the director on a project that wasn't working to try and make it more successful. It hasn't done too well at the BO, but I think that's mostly because the CGI market is so diluted with so many films coming out each year. The true test will be how well The Princess and the Frog, Disney's upcoming 2D film, does in theatres. If that one fails to capture audiences then there will be some serious trouble at Disney Animation.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:05 AM »
While I don't think it reaches the heights Pixar has reached with its greats, Bolt is definitely one of the better family films I've seen in recent years. There were some story cliches that I had to grown at, but overall I enjoyed it. Loved the pigeons in particular ("Want to hear a pitch for our screenplay?")
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

bb6634

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
I was really surprised how good this film was.  While it doesn't have the substance of a Pixar film , the Pixar touch is all over this thing;  yet, it still looks and feels like Disney.  Really good Disney.  It's worth the admission price for the opening action sequence alone, which is right up there with anything Pixar did in The Incredibles for pacing and choreography. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:54:08 PM by bb6634 »

daveandsteph

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
Just as a sign of its good word of mouth, it did something that few wide releases EVER do: its second weekend box office was bigger than its first, by 2%.  Most drop off by 30-50% or more, but it GAINED!
There's no shame in loving crappy movies.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
Just as a sign of its good word of mouth, it did something that few wide releases EVER do: its second weekend box office was bigger than its first, by 2%.  Most drop off by 30-50% or more, but it GAINED!

Compared to Twilight, which fell a huge amount. Twilight just sounds like it has been another fad.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

andyg

• My Site
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:55:34 AM »
Well it was thanksgiving this week so it was likely to do better second time around. And Twilight is a film made for its fans so its first weekend is always gonna be much bigger than subsequent ones.

love