Poll

Which should be the next bracket formed and played?

70s US
80s US
90s Europe

Author Topic: Next Bracket: 80s US  (Read 328357 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Re: Next Bracket: 80s US
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
Alright, here's my list... hopefully someone will take up the cause for some of the ones on my list that don't make the Top 3.

1. Escape from New York
2. Stardust Memories
3. Major League
4. Beetlejuice
5. Sid & Nancy
6. Blues Brothers
7. Starman
8. Coming to America

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
I believe 3 nominations was the limit, so here are my official three then,

1) On Golden Pond (1981)
2) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
3) Sixteen Candles (1984)

you'll get three of your films in, but you might want to suggest more than three titles in case someone else picks some of the same titles that you did.  for example, just a few posts ago ses submitted a list that also included On Golden Pond, though ranked #4.  pretend her titles were to get added to the base list before your titles, then "your" On Golden Pond would not count.  that being the case, it would make sense for you to have something in your 4-slot to make-up for On Golden Pond not counting - you were onto something with that initial list of 6 :)

In that case,

1) On Golden Pond (1981)
2) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
3) Sixteen Candles (1984)
4) They Live (1988)
5) Hoosiers (1986)
6) Rain Man (1988)

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #352 on: June 14, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »
Some more films I'd like to see included (unranked for now but I'll edit this post with rankings in a bit):

Mystery Train - Jim Jarmusch (1989)
Vernon, Florida - Errol Morris (1981)
Coffee and Cigarettes - Jim Jarmusch (1986)
Time Bandits - Terry Gilliam (1981)
The Killing Fields - Roland Joffe (1984)
Stardust Memories - Woody Allen (1980)
Withnail and I - Bruce Robinson (1987)
Body Double - Brian DePalma (1984)
Popeye - Robert Altman (1980) (cause I am curious given sdedalus & oad's enthusiasm for this one)
Blood Simple - Coen Brothers (1984)
Broadcast News - James L. Brooks (1987)
Shoah doesn't count as US, no?
I don't love Terms of Endearment necessarily but am surprised to not see it on the list.

Basically, discovering new films is a huge part of why the brackets appeal to me. That plus reading the verdicts of course. But by picking from  lists which have a number restriction and have to accommodate films from several decades, I think we are inherently leaning towards films that are widely acknowledged as classics. This format is hugely likely to exclude smaller films and films that may be less than perfect but are still worth watching for a variety of reasons. I always knew that Boyz in the Hood wouldn't win the bracket but am soooo glad I got a chance to watch it! The Fisher King.... same... The list just goes on.
As the list stands now, there's far less stuff there that I wouldn't discover if it weren't for the bracket. I prefer to start from a bigger list and cut down as opposed to starting with a really selective list and adding a few. I think it's because I don't know what bracket fatigue means :).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:00:31 PM by worm@work »

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
Oh and I'm excited about some of your new resurrection ideas, skjerva... they sound like fun!

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
Is Time Bandits a British production?  That is why skjerva said Brazil wasn't on the list. And Coffee and Cigarettes is 2003, were you thinking of Down by Law?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
Withnail is British also.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »
Is Time Bandits a British production?  That is why skjerva said Brazil wasn't on the list. And Coffee and Cigarettes is 2003, were you thinking of Down by Law?

Yeah, i thought it was so much more recent then that but got misled by the imdb listing for the short :). Sorry!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #357 on: June 14, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »
Basically, discovering new films is a huge part of why the brackets appeal to me. [...] I prefer to start from a bigger list and cut down as opposed to starting with a really selective list and adding a few.

yeah, i tend to agree with you, but i think there is a chance that something can be rediscovered, too, and that is always fun.  that said, i think there are prolly more unknown films for the 80s bracket than there were for the 90s, but that is just a hunch.  i'm also not opposed to adding more titles, either through letting folks put in more than 3, finding a different critic to cull, or merely being dictatorish about it.  i initially planned to put more of the obscure films in, but 1SO's list polls inspired me to take action in this direction.

and, what they said, also wouldn't consider Shoah US.  i reckon the C&C date just reflects when one/some of the segments were filmed - the whole shebang wasn't 'til 2003.

here are the titles i currently have on my add list:

Variety
Surname viet given name nam
Far From Poland
The Times of Harvey Milk
Ms. 45
Friday the 13th

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #358 on: June 14, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
and worm, i like your list :)  i am surprised most of them didn't show on one of the sources - Vernon, Popeye, Blood, Broadcast - (it is always possible i missed something, too)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
Did we settle on a minimum running time of 40 minutes? I'm wondering if Superstar is eligible.