love

Poll

Which should be the next bracket formed and played?

70s US
80s US
90s Europe

Author Topic: Next Bracket: 80s US  (Read 328573 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Next Bracket: 80s US
« Reply #2630 on: March 19, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
I was a heavy participant in 80s US...can’t promise I’d match that effort but at least casual participation...one pairing a month or something.

One issue with the brackets if you are a heavy participant is eventually you’ve seen most things, or even seen them for the bracket. That leaves the more casual participants as the only ones who can finish things off.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2631 on: March 19, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
One issue with the brackets if you are a heavy participant is eventually you’ve seen most things, or even seen them for the bracket. That leaves the more casual participants as the only ones who can finish things off.

Yeah, that's another thing that I'm hoping will be helped by the use of byes (ensuring new films available each round) and the additional element of rating/reviewing losing films for resurrection.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2632 on: March 20, 2020, 12:08:35 AM »
I like your plan, pixote.  I would probably be a casual participant as well, as there is always something for me to do, even in "social distancing". 

Film availability was a difficulty for me in the Far East Bracket, so I'd prefer something more easily accessible.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2633 on: March 20, 2020, 12:34:34 AM »
What constitutes an "enthusiastic" participant? How many films in what span of time am I dedicating myself to?

I'm just looking for all opportunities to see different types of films. If I'm not at the level of enthusiastic participant, I'll definitely do casual. All I ask is help in finding the films that aren't readily available either through Netflix DVD, library, Kanopy, or all the various online rental and streaming services.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #2634 on: March 20, 2020, 02:56:29 AM »
I'm fully on board. I guess you can count me as enthusiastic, I had a lot of fun participating in the 90s FEB, and if we can create something like that again I'm all for it. The form you suggest seems reasonable to me pix, the other question is what would the bracket be about ? 90s Europe would be my choice just for consistency's sake really, but I'd be open to some 2010s stuff since it's appropriate to this particular moment.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2635 on: March 20, 2020, 04:44:25 AM »
Count me in as a casual (past history suggests that is what will happen)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2636 on: March 20, 2020, 06:45:21 AM »
What constitutes an "enthusiastic" participant? How many films in what span of time am I dedicating myself to?

Participation levels kind of break down as follows (though of course people move between categories):

Manic = 1-4 verdicts per week. (This level of participation rarely lasts long, but it's fun while it lasts.)
Enthusiastic = 1-2 verdicts per month.
Casual = 1-2 verdicts every three months (or at least 1 verdict per bracket round).
Delinquent = 1 verdict per every ten claims of "I think I'll be able to post something this weekend."

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #2637 on: March 20, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
Count me in as a casual delinquent.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2638 on: March 20, 2020, 08:38:32 AM »

Participation levels kind of break down as follows (though of course people move between categories):

Manic = 1-4 verdicts per week. (This level of participation rarely lasts long, but it's fun while it lasts.)
Enthusiastic = 1-2 verdicts per month.
Casual = 1-2 verdicts every three months (or at least 1 verdict per bracket round).
Delinquent = 1 verdict per every ten claims of "I think I'll be able to post something this weekend."

pixote

If this is your breakdown you can count me as enthusiastic.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2639 on: March 20, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
I'd be enthusiastic.

love