love

Author Topic: Dec MDC Write-ups  (Read 29714 times)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
Dec MDC Write-ups
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
have at it  :-*

-------

Dec assignments
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Dec MDC Write-ups
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
Man On Wire

What a remarkable story! It's so unbelievable that at times I forgot I was watching a documentary and that it had already happened. That they were even able to successfully rig up a wire for Philip to walk on was nearly as amazing a feat as the walk itself.

While I watched I wondered about whether I've ever felt anything close to what he feels out on that wire; and I don't mean veritgo  ;) Without confronting death like that can you say you've experienced all there is to feel in life? Who knows for sure? It's sobering and exciting when you're made to think about such things, and in the end I felt good.

Anyways it's a well put together doc. What more can you say about it? It's certainly one of the best films I've seen of 2008. It's something I would recommend to anybody. Thanks to ses for giving me this to watch, I hope I can return the favour one day.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
It's not December yet. Now you have to watch another one.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
It's not December yet. Now you have to watch another one.
Ohh. Ah, well maybe I'll just watch it again :)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
I am so glad you liked it smirnoff!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
For Your Consideration

"No one's ever ready for Paranoid Park" quips one of the characters in this skateboarding drama.  And I guess I wasn't really ready for it either, given that it's a Van Sant film and something about his films just leave me feeling cold.  This was no different, in that I did think it was well made, had some good ideas and even executed well but I just couldn't get totally into it. 

Why was this?  Well, for one the distracting voiceover really put me off.  It felt like it was the first time the lead had ever recorded anything and while I'm sure that was by design from Gus, it just brought me out of it every single time.  That said, the use of non-actors did achieve a very natural feel throughout the film and Christopher Doyle's cinematography is pretty magnificent, as usual.

I do feel this is a solid effort, with a few annoying flaws.  There's a little too many skateboarding scenes, and not enough tension anywhere.  Other than 1 scene, you get the feeling the kid doesn't care about anything and really I refuse to believe his relationship with his girlfriend as he seems to be at the only school where there isn't a football team and the cheerleaders go out with the dorky skaters.  But that's really just being picky.

It's a solid film, one that I'm glad I watched and I might try and watch some more of Van Sant's stuff from here so thanks duder!

7/10

As for it's Filmspot considerations, I do believe it deserves to be mentioned for Sound Editing, Cinematography and to a lesser extent Soundtrack; the other's - not so much.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
I refuse to believe his relationship with his girlfriend as he seems to be at the only school where there isn't a football team and the cheerleaders go out with the dorky skaters. 

Still holding some grudges? ;)

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »
haha no, not at all.  Didn't have football teams or cheerleaders at my school.  I just didn't buy that a) she'd be going out with him and b) SPOILER - Given the way they break-up, that a football player wouldn't have kicked his ass

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
***spoilerish comments for Paranoid Park?***

(a1) i think skater kids do have that kind of allure for the ladies (and he is a total hottie), (a2) Alex isn't so interested in the lady because of the queer work going on, but more importantly (b) this is a memory film and it would make sense for other characters to be created in the image of how Alex imagines them.

i bet you'll like Milk :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:43:34 PM by pixote »
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
I guess that makes sense.  I am actually really exicted for Milk.

love