love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 790017 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1710 on: January 08, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Plus if you have trouble, turn it down to casual. I've done that a couple of times when I'm about a hit or two away from destroying a boss and don't feel like back tracking to find enough Elfroot to craft that one extra potion I need to finish things off. Casual is mostly a joke though, then bosses go down with ease...with the exception of Flemeth the Shapeshifter.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1711 on: January 08, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
Yea, I'll admit this is probably the only modern game I've had to turn down to easy for a couple of battles.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1712 on: January 08, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »
Dragon Age would be more manageable on consoles if the game was more turn based, I have noticed. Died many times because I have to switch from character to character and tell them to heal individually, resulting in the death of my main character, or my warrior. Both of which spell immediate doom for Team Owen.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1713 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »
Yea, even on PC I wish it was turn based or at least you had the option. Sometimes you just don't have the time to manage everything unless you pause like every other second. Still, if you manage the tactics right sometimes you can sidestep a lot of problems, like making them automatically take a potion when their health drops below a certain level.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1714 on: January 08, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
I tried that, but then I picked up a greater health potion, my only health potion, Sten got up after the fight was finished, and immediately drank it, then Wynee proceeded to heal him more, and I was without potions again.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1715 on: January 08, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
I tried that, but then I picked up a greater health potion, my only health potion, Sten got up after the fight was finished, and immediately drank it, then Wynee proceeded to heal him more, and I was without potions again.
Yea, that happens a lot. Wish there was a way to make exceptions. Any number of health potions don't last longer than maybe 20 minutes on hard.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #1716 on: January 08, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
Got about 85 bucks in credit for trading in Dragon Age, The Saboteur, Call of Juarez, and Civ Rev (Yes, FLY... I held onto Valkryia Chronicles) and got a new copy of Ratchet & Clank and a used copy of Skate 2. I was a big fan of the original Skate and I've heard there are some really cool online modes in the sequel. I'll let you guys know what I think of them after the weekend.

Oh, and I really wanted Red Faction: Guerilla, but they were asking for $49.99 for a USED COPY! It's only 35 bucks for a new copy on Amazon. GameStop sucks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:12:43 PM by Naked Blake »

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1717 on: January 08, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
What I can tell you is that the first Red Faction game was pretty gimmicky and the second one flat-out bad.
Frankly though, I have no interest in any of the games on your list except for the Ratchet&Clank thing.

Played The Witcher all day long, game is awesome. It's probably impossible for a fighting system in an action RPG like this not to feel tired at one point (looking at you too, Fable) but The Witcher puts so much emphasis on potions and other temporary upgrades, it's quite challenging. And the story..wow.
I'm sort of in love with this right now.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1718 on: January 08, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
Yea, The Witcher is pretty cool. I think the fact that the different combat styles have different tempos and that when you upgrade one the pacing changes keeps it interesting enough. Haven't played it extensively though. Maybe 10-15 hours in and I heard it's a long game.

Also playing that on hard and it's brutal as well.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1719 on: January 08, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
Well, still, there's always just the click-to-hit option (instead of having you actually perform the move or something) and you can't really chose from different attacks. In fact, even the choice of styles is really determined by the type of enemy you face, seeing as you can't even hit fast enemies with the heavy attacks and such.
But still, this was actually meant as a compliment and not as a complaint and I think the game gives you a lot of interesting options with regard to the preparations you take before battle, thus really encouraging you to experiment with the alchemy system.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love