Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 495875 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1800 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Yeah, the supernatural stuff doesn't really play big role in the game, it's just that one crazy guy and the drug-induced visions. None of that is in the second game, if I remember correctly.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1801 on: January 19, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »
That's good because I'm starting 2 this evening and don't want no crazy dark drugged up sequences. I like the idea behind them but the execution and gameplay they put in them is poor.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1802 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
I always thought they were pretty cool but maybe they haven't aged all that well. At the time, the presentation of that game (along with some of the gameplay elements) was pretty mindblowing. The second one is probably better though.
I take it you finished the first game then. How'd you like it?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1803 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
It was cool but for some reason it seemed like half the time the bullet time was good for was making me get hit in slowmo and die instead of getting hit real fast and dieing. Seems like the game was stingy as hell with the painkillers which meant I played a lot of the game on the verge of death and reloaded a lot. Maybe I was playing it wrong. Didn't bother with the tutorial. Some of the times enemies seemed cheap, grenades you could barely dodge the second you walked through a door, enemies coming behind you the second after a cutscene finishes and surving 3 shotgun blasts and point blank to the torso.

Still, when you have those moments where you leap from cover to cover headshotting fools in midair all is forgiven. It's pure awesomeness for five seconds...and then you find out you've just set yourself up for a fall off a ten story building. Still, that five seconds of awesome is just way cooler than most anything I've done in any game and keeps me coming back for more. (Is Stranglehold similar to this? I know Path of Neo/Enter the Matrix tries but the shooting just isn't there.)

I like the presentation but the story kinda teetered off for me. Still, cool how it all came together in the end.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1804 on: January 19, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
My friends and I finally got all the star coins in New Super Mario Bros. Wii (what a stupid title). It was fun and excruciating at the same time. No other multiplayer experience I've had even comes close to 3 guys on a couch jumping on goombas.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #1805 on: January 21, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »
I don't own (the obviously inferior) X-box 360 console; however, amazon is having flash deals all day long for games in their "Gold Box" deal section. The first one up is Fallout 3 for like 17 bucks.

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Solid Blake

• Elite Member
« Reply #1806 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »

"Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time"

There are several reasons why this should be a mediocre game... It combines many elements from popular franchises. It takes the teamwork elements of "Banjo-Kazooie," the interplanetary platforming of "Mario Galaxy," the hover boot racing elements of "Sonic The Hedgehog" and many other elements from 3-D platformers. However, it takes all of these things and either improves them or does them complete justice. Add on a fun story, with interesting characters, an interesting hub world (or in this case, a galaxy) and good replay elements and you have a fantastic game. The graphics are near-Pixar quality, as cliche as it to say, but it's just a marvel to look at. Next to "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves," I'd have to say this one of the finest looking games on Playstation 3. The real star of the game are the interesting and often insane weapons (as I've heard they've always been in the series) and the variety of methods of attacking enemies never stagnates. The music is fantastic and the radio programs during inter-planetary travel rival the production values of a "Grand Theft Auto" game.

Look, I'll just come out and say it: This is a must-play for video game lovers. It celebrates everything I've come to love from the medium and is a fun and heart-filled alternative to the dark & gritty competition in the market today. Buy it.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1807 on: January 21, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
Obvi. Cool to see Dr. Nefarious back.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1808 on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:33 PM »
I forgot to say that, while playing Assassin's Creed, it made me feel bad that I was not holding the controller when Leonardo asks you to hug him. I missed the button press and I regretted not doing for the rest of the game. Sorry, Leonardo.

Either way, off the top of my head...

1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Assassin's Creed 2
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Uncharted 2
5. Shadow Complex
6. Modern Warfare 2

4, 5, and 6 are probably interchangeable. I'm likely forgetting games.

EDIT: 2 and 3 probably can be switched around any given day as well, but I think the gameplay in Batman is a bit too repetitive at times, while Assassin's Creed never lets up.

EDIT: But my God, that mood and setting in Batman is so alive.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #1809 on: January 23, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
Okay, Max Payne 2 is much much better (even though I liked one a lot). I think I'm nearing the end and if I have the time I'll finish it off this evening. So I'll probably wait till then to share all my thoughts.