Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 790014 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2280 on: March 09, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2281 on: March 09, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
But this is the first one that completely bastardizes the franchise.

Are you going to register for the FF XIV beta? If not, would I be able to use your serial number?

Yeah, remind me to get you that in the near future. I despise MMOs.

Excellent. Much appreciated.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2282 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
The Witcher isn't done but I'm done with it. The last two acts have been an ever escalating series of BS moves. Goes from one of the best to one of the most repetitive and mindlessly stupid RPGs of recent years. So disapointing. Maybe one day I'll have the patience to finish it but not now.

Moving back to X-COM: Terror From the Deep. Or I might switch over to some of the LucasArts games. I want to knock out at least a couple more games this week.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2283 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »

Man, this game is a JRPG. For better or worse, it features every Japanese element one would suspect: turn-based combat, overtly stylish haircuts, awkward and/or inappropriate body language, sexist and/or racist stereotypes, implied pedophilia, and an incredible amount of exposition (still, with all the explaining and odd semantics, I still can't figure out what the hell is going on with this convoluted story). Sure, it's a bit linear at first; however, I find this to be more fit to my liking. Where most RPGs (i.e. "Fallout 3," "Dragon Age: Origins," etc.) lose me, is when you finally get to that point where there's 100+ side-quests still open and you have no idea where to go to trigger the story forward. Maybe I'm getting a little old, but I like a little hand-holding. I'm also not a huge fan of turn-based fight mechanics; however, FFXIII's combat system (with it's paradigm shifts, combo systems, and just plain gorgeous attack moves) makes it a little easier to stomach. So far, I'm really digging this game.

Oh, and I'll just go and say it: This is the most beautiful game, both technically and artistically, that I have ever played. I remember saying to my brother and friends: "One day, we'll play games that look just like these FMV videos!" When, in fact, the in-game engine produces graphics far superior than most FMV I've seen thus far. Also, you can hardly notice when the game switches between pre-rendered cut scenes and cut scenes using the game engine. Wow, I mean just... wow. I would love to see if anyone could tell me with a straight face that games like "Uncharted 2" and "God of War III" have better looking graphics than this game. It truly needs to be seen to be appreciated. I could literally just sit and pan the camera around my character for hours and enjoy every moment of it, it truly feels "next generation." Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't have to install the game to my hard drive and there are hardly any loading screens. It seems Square-Enix has truly mastered the Blu Ray format...

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2284 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:56 PM »
So it's also a JRPG in the sense that there are expansive towns littered with interesting NPCs to converse with, a variety of shops that allow you to customize, create, and sell weapons, armor, and occasionally spells, and has a number of portions that require a good deal of grinding in order to progress through the multi-layered, twisting dungeons, right...right? Now I have not played the game yet, obviously, but from all I've read the game can hardly be described as a true JRPG. Hell, there are arguments to be made that even a game like DQVIII isn't a true JRPG, and FFXIII appears to be an incredibly far cry away from that game. It may have the negative stereotypes of a JRPG, but mechanically and design wise it hardly seems to fit the bill, at least from what I've read.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2285 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
So it's also a JRPG in the sense that there are expansive towns littered with interesting NPCs to converse with, a variety of shops that allow you to customize, create, and sell weapons, armor, and occasionally spells, and has a number of portions that require a good deal of grinding in order to progress through the multi-layered, twisting dungeons, right...right?

Well, you see: Almost everything you just mentioned (especially the aforementioned "grinding," are things I don't enjoy or even want in my video games. So far, you can explore and find loot, buy and sell them. And I've read that the game really "opens up" in a more traditional sense at around the 25 hour mark, with towns and a "hub-world" environment... so we'll see if I either (A) make it that far, or (B) enjoy it when it gets to that point. So far, I've already died 3 times in battle and this is due to me spamming the "auto-fight" option. There is depth here, and lots of it. Sure, the production value is easy to be smitten with, but I'm sure I'll have a greater appreciation for the mechanics of the game as it continues to grow on me.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2286 on: March 10, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
*rant*

There's just way too much dicking around in video games today. Running from place to place, talking to people. The environments are so fricken wide open, which makes it lifelike (and that's BAD). If I have to wait more than 5 seconds to meet my next enemy that's too long. Take me back in time to when the only direction you could go in a game was to the right.

Move right, kick some ass, move right, kick some ass, move right, kick some ass... and then the game ends and then you turn up the difficulty and do it again.

This rant was brought to you by Infamous. Run, jump, talk, and every once in a while kill a guy

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2287 on: March 10, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
Games need to be more open ended. Also, you should buy God of War and get the best of mostly both worlds.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2288 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »
Funny you should say that. My buddy was just selling me on God of War today. Says I'd love it.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #2289 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:36 AM »
Move right, kick some ass, move right, kick some ass, move right, kick some ass... and then the game ends and then you turn up the difficulty and do it again.
I agree but only because the trend of the "living breathing world" seems to suffocate classic game design. I always thought there's enough room for open world games and brawlers (the two ends of the spectrum, imho). The market, the tastes and preferences are varied enough. I was wrong. People keep telling me brawlers are dead. I understand you can't put Haggar in everything but come on, somebody (talking to you SNK) make a new brawler! Stop it already with the Turtles and Streets of Rage releases for download. Give me a new brawler. How about a new Spikeout game? Anyone remember that from the arcades? Mmmm ... delicious 4player Spikeout. Come on Sega, do it. DO IT!

BOOM! Take that, random motorcycle thug!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"