love

Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 790002 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2380 on: March 25, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
Well, you've sort of been saying that all along ;)
Needless to say, I disagree. Actually, I find that kind of thing immersive, just as it is in actual pen and paper RPGs. It provides a sense of accomplishment and yeah, pride, to see your character(s) grow strong and powerful. It's traditional more than antiquated and the popularity the Diablo series for instance, where all gameplay is basically reduced to that very element, alongside MMORPGs, most of which heavly rely on it too, sufficiently proves, that there is at least a huge market for it.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2381 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
There's only one other game that can potentially be better than Heavy Rain, and that's Fallout: New Vegas.
You're saying that in a year where there will be new Metroid, Zelda and Mario Galaxy games :P

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2382 on: March 25, 2010, 11:35:39 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if you people are really gamers are just trying to hoax me.

Repetition seems to be the foundation of so may genres of games. Shoot Nazis for 8 hours, move blocks around until the screen fills up, move the red dude from left to right for 8 worlds. Sure, there's variation, but there are few games that have you doing new and interesting things every hour. Heck, the only examples I can think of are short indie games like World of Goo and Braid.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2383 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
Exactly. There's a reason controllers only have like eight buttons.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2384 on: March 25, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
There's only one other game that can potentially be better than Heavy Rain, and that's Fallout: New Vegas.
You're saying that in a year where there will be new Metroid, Zelda and Mario Galaxy games :P

That new Zelda game isn't confirmed. Regardless, none of those series give me what I need to call a game great.

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #2385 on: March 25, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if you people are really gamers are just trying to hoax me.

Repetition seems to be the foundation of so may genres of games. Shoot Nazis for 8 hours, move blocks around until the screen fills up, move the red dude from left to right for 8 worlds. Sure, there's variation, but there are few games that have you doing new and interesting things every hour. Heck, the only examples I can think of are short indie games like World of Goo and Braid.

The difference is that shooting and platforming and puzzle games are usually/often reliant on the gameplay to provide the fun and reason to keep playing, whereas I would argue that the actual battles could be considered the least important part of an RPG.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2386 on: March 25, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
I strongly disagree. A great RPG should have multiple ways to approach each battle.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2387 on: March 25, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
I would like to see that argument.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2388 on: March 25, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
Waqit, you mean we finally know more on La Noire? Awesome. Do tell Blake.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #2389 on: March 25, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
I'm saying that many RPGs are enjoyable based purely on the exploration of the world and the storyline and characters.  Kind of like a point and click adventure can be fun even if you don't really care about pointing and clicking.

A good RPG should have a good battle system to supplement it, but its not a deal breaker if it doesn't get in the way.

For example, I played through and enjoyed almost all of FFX by basically just mashing X through each battle.  It got to the point where when traveling through some areas I would watch TV and have the game in picture-in-picture and just mash X if I saw a random battle come up.

However, if the game forces you to grind and you don't love the battle system, that can halt it dead.  I want to finish FFXII, but I got stuck on a boss and had to grind to beat him, and I just would rather play something else than spend my time doing that.  If I would have been able to beat the boss without having to double back, I would have kept playing the game.

I can completely see where Solid Blake is coming from.

love